Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Music Review: Invitation to Eavesdrop by Shaun Groves


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: "Abba Father," Lyrics that are honest about the struggle to live for Christ
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Some awesome lyrics
Music fun to listen to
A winning debut




Real Struggles and Real Praise

Sometimes Christian music appears to be written by people who have all the answers - song after song of nothing but praise to God or talk about God working through struggles. Now don't misunderstand, I do enjoy these songs. But every so often, I find myself wanting more. I long to hear songs from someone who struggles like I do. On days like those, I pull out Invitation to Eavesdrop because Shaun Groves and I have too much in common.

Shaun debuted on Rocketown Records with this CD. The 10 soft rock songs here are at times worshipful and other times painfully honest. Mr. Groves is obviously someone acquainted with the struggle to worship and live for God while still being human.

The project opens with "Should I Tell Them." Here, he struggles with his call to ministry when he knows he is far from perfect. The verses speak of stumbling "In a world that is watching and waiting for worse" and wondering if God is "Seeing all of me there is to see." Unlike many songs, this one ends with a plea for God to meet him. There is no resolution. That makes the prayer even more moving to me. The song itself features guitar and really cranks things up with heavy drum for the chorus, making it even more powerful.

"Damage Done" is the first of two songs that deal with struggles in human relationships. The first is a song of apology. It doesn't mince words but accepts the blame for the problems in the relationship. It's the second song on the disc and just a tad slower, but features a fun melody.

"Two Cents," a quiet ballad, is the other. Shaun picks his guitar this time and violins provide some of the background. While promising to help someone in need, the words ultimately point to the person who really helps, God. As the bridge so eloquently points out, "How can I have all your answer/When I've got questions of my own?"

"Welcome Home" was the first major radio hit off this CD. It takes the overused metaphor of our heart being Christ's home and expands upon it. Yet it doesn't come across as trite or corny but really works. It's a convicting list of all the things that need to be turned over to God if He's really in control of our lives. Shaun plays piano on this one. It starts out quietly and simply but adds in drums and strings as it builds in intensity.

"Satellite" is the only true rocker here. And it doesn't pretend to be anything else. It starts off with the pounding beat of drums and keyboard chords. The idea is simple, we orbit around God.

My personal favorite here is "Abba Father." This song is a quiet, personal prayer of love to God for the way He cares for us, His children. I'll usually play this song multiple times on the way through the album. It has very few words and works as a worship chorus. In fact, I've introduced it to the youth group at my church. The song starts out with keyboard and guitar but adds drums and strings for the second time through. It's slow, but that just makes me concentrate on the words all the more. It really is a beautiful and feels like a glimpse into Shaun's personal prayer life.

The entire album is challenging and uplifting. Shaun Groves has a very poetic pen and a great gift for writing melody. Pick up Invitation to Eavesdrop today and enjoy eavesdropping on some personal moments that will encourage you in your daily walk

CD Length: 42:36
Tracks:
1. Should I Tell Them
2. Damage Done
3. Welcome Home
4. Two Cents
5. Move Me
6. Satellite
7. Your Renown
8. Abba Father
9. After the Music Fades
10. Last Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.