Saturday, March 16, 2013

Music Review: Wide Eyed by Nichole Nordeman


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong honest lyrics and beautiful music
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Fresh musical sounds
And lyrics that make me think
Debut's a winner




Eyes Wide Open to Questions

Sometimes, Christian music glosses over the struggles and doubts in life. While I love songs of praise that remind me of theological truths, I know that's not all there is to Spiritual life. That's why I latched on to Wide Eyed and don't plan to let go any time in the near future.

Nichole Nordeman doesn't shy away from asking questions. And she doesn't feel she needs to provide the answers. That's why this CD is such a breath of fresh air.

The very first track resonated with me. In "To Know You," Nichole admits to sharing the struggles of Doubting Thomas and Nicodemus. Yet the chorus is a cry "Be patient with my doubt, I'm just trying to figure out Your will. And I really want to know you still." Stylistically, it's a mid-tempo pop track with catchy melody that's easy to get stuck in your head.

The honesty continues on the similarly themed "Who You Are." This mid-tempo track marvels at the complexity of God and struggles to understand him without putting him in a nice, neat little box. I must confess that this song was a bit of a whack upside the head when I first listened to it.

"To Say Thanks" continues with the mid-tempo tracks. This song struggles with the trials in life. Yet it doesn't ask "Why me?" but "Why does it keep getting harder to say thanks?" The verses are a bit subdued with Nichole's piano taking the forefront. But when the verse comes, the drums become stronger and the tempo increases slightly, giving the song a driving force that just adds to the power.

The CD closes with "River God," a lovely piano based ballad. Here, God is compared to a river, but we are the peddles that God is slowly smoothing day by day. Nichole's piano is accompanied by just a couple stringed instruments (cello maybe?) which make for a beautiful song that washes over you like the river she sings about.

These are my four favorite tracks on the album, and I could listen to them repeated for days on end. But the other tracks are great as well. "Burnin'" compares faith to a fire and discusses the hesitation to let God light the first of faith. "Gone are the Days" speaks of the freedom that comes from surrendering to the love of God.

Musically, the focus in on Nichole's piano playing. Most songs feature drums and/or guitar as well. The entire CD is pop oriented with just a hint of soft rock thrown in on some of the drum loops. Nothing here is truly fast or "rocky," mid tempo is as fast as she ever gets. Yet she has a strong voice that can belt out some of these choruses, adding to the intensity of the lyrics. Sarah McLachlan always comes to mind when I listen to the CD, especially on the title track.

Wide Eyed caught my ear and my heart from the first time I heard it and hasn't let go yet. If you are looking for something a little deeper from Christian music, this CD is for you.

CD Length: 43:09
Tracks:
1. To Know You
2. Wide Eyed
3. Who You Are
4. Anyway
5. I Wish the Same for You
6. Is it Any Wonder
7. Gone are the days
9. To Say Thanks
10. River God

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.