Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Review; Two Wrongs Don't Make a Write by Cathy Wiley (Cassandra Ellis #2)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Strong characters it's fun to visit again
Cons: Plotting uneven at times
The Bottom Line
Some great characters
Lead you through a fun story
Enjoyable book




You Won't Go Wrong with This Book

When my friend Cathy Wiley started writing her own mysteries, naturally, I had to give them a shot.  Two Wrongs Don't Make a Write is the second in the series, and it was great to revisit the characters who are already becoming friends.

The series revolves around Cassie Ellis, a mystery author who seems to find herself getting caught in real life mysteries.  Fortunately, she has started dating James Whittaker, a Baltimore police detective.  Maybe it's not so fortunate since that connection is what leads her to murder in this book.

It's been two months since Cassie and James have officially started dating, and Cassie has decided it's time she met his father.  Just one catch - James has had very little contact with his dad, Rick, since the man resigned in disgrace after being accused of being a dirty cop nine years before.

The meeting is awkward, although Cassie likes the man and decides to see if she can bring healing to the family.  That may be harder than she thinks when the cop who accused Rick is murdered and Rick becomes a suspect.  Did Rick commit the murder?  Will he and James ever repair their relationship?

My one complaint with the first book still holds true here - the plot's pace is uneven at times.  However, as the book progresses, the plot takes more and more prominence, leading to a climax that is thrilling and surprising.  I was sure a different character did it.

The characters are more than enough to keep you reading, however.  Cassie and James are truly likable, and some of their scenes feel like something from a romantic comedy.  Any time spent with them is enjoyable.  The rest of the cast is well defined as well, and they do a great job in their supporting roles.  There are a couple I'm hoping will make appearances in future books; they're certainly position for it.

The book is written from both Cassie and James' third person point of views.  The switches are always handled well, and it really helps flesh out the story and their characters.  It's not a technique I see often in the books I read, but here I think it works well and helps establish both as main characters.  The writing is strong and pulls me into the book.  The pages flew by, and I always had a hard time putting the book down.

Two Wrongs Don't Make a Write is another entertaining mystery with great characters.  If you need another mystery series, check this one out.

Note: While Cathy is a friend, I did buy this book, and my opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.