Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Book Review: The Heist by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg (Kate O'Hare and Nick Fox #1)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great characters and a whirlwind story that is hard to put down
Cons: Pacing uneven
The Bottom Line:
Globe traveling romp
To capture a criminal
With strange partnership




I Was Captured by The Heist

While most people consider her the queen of the comedic mystery, I’ve never quite fallen for the books of Janet Evanovich.  But I am a fan of Lee Goldberg, so I knew I’d be getting The Heist as soon as he started talking about it.  This first in a new series co-written by the two authors proved to be fun and worth reading.

FBI agent Kate O’Hare has spent the last five years tracking conman Nick Fox.  He has slipped through her fingers on several occasions just like his namesake.  But she finally gets the drop on him.

Or does she?

Next thing Kate knows, her life is turned upside down when she gets an interesting offer from the higher ups.  Is it the stupidest thing she’s heard?  Or could this be a great new adventure?

Lee’s background in TV is obvious here.  I could easily see this book as a pilot.  We get the back story and set up before the book really sinks into the first case that Kate and her new partner start working.  Not that it wasn’t all entertaining; I certainly enjoyed it.  But I just had to smile when I saw what they were doing.

Once things start in earnest, we are in for more fun.  There is an elaborate set up that is fun to watch, although the story did slow down a few times in my opinion.  We get to meet some fun supporting characters along the way.  In fact, those supporting characters gave me some of the best laughs and chuckles of the book.  I wouldn’t complain if they came back in future installments.

And Nick and Kate?  They are interesting enough to lead a series, and I look forward to watching the dynamic unfold between them in future books.

Those familiar with TV will certainly see a similarity with the TV show White Collar.  There are some differences like a story that takes place over the entire world, but the basic premise is the same.  Thanks to the quips and sexual tension between the two leads, I’d say you should throw in a healthy dose of Castle as well.  I love both shows, so naturally, I found this a fun mix.

Since both authors are long established in their careers, it should come as no surprise that the writing flows.  The pages flew by and I was done all too quickly.

I know at least one sequel to The Heist is in the works, and I can’t wait to read it.  Frankly, I hope that Kate and Nick have a long and prosperous relationship.

Find out what comes next for this duo by reading the Fox and O'Hare series in order.

6 comments:

  1. I wasn't familiar with Lee Goldberg, but I've read all of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books and others and I liked this so much more! I'm not familiar with either White Collar or Castle, but I could totally picture this as a series or movie. I am looking forward to more Kate and Nick adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Goldberg used to write for TV, but I know him best for the Monk and Diagnosis: Murder TV tie ins. This definitely felt like a pilot to me, but I didn't mind because it was loads of fun.

      Delete
  2. placing your review up on my facebook wall, Mark. great review and looks like a book for the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Very glad to hear it. It's a fun ride, isn't it?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.