Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What's on Your Nightstand - July 2013

Can you believe we're on the fourth Tuesday of the month already?  I sure can't.  But that means it is time for What's on Your Nightstand, hosted over at 5 Minutes for Books.

Last week, I was reading The Wrong Girl by Hank Phillippi Ryan.  It's her second book about reporter Jane Ryland and Boston detective Jake Brogan.  This time around, Jane is helping a former co-worker find out if she was sent to the wrong woman while trying to track down her birth mother.  Meanwhile, she is also covering a murder that Jake is investigating.  A woman is found murdered.  Two kids under 3, both alive, are in the next room.  It looks like a simple domestic dispute expect the woman has no ID anywhere in the apartment.

I loved the book.  It started fast and never let me go until I reached the end.  Full disclosure, I got the book via Amazon Vine and it isn't out until September.  If you are interested in reading more, here's my full review.

But that's what I was reading.  What's currently on my nightstand?  I'm almost a third of the way through The Last Word, the latest in the Spellman series by Lisa Lutz.  This series is about a dysfunctional family of PI's.  While I don't consider them mysteries but more dysfunctional family comedies, I always enjoy them, and this one is no exception.  These books always fly by way too quickly.

10 comments:

  1. I love books that fly by quickly. Sounds like you had two winners this month. That's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely two winners back to back. And I think the next book should be good, too.

      Delete
  2. I am very anxiously waiting to read The Last Word - I just won a copy from goodreads.com but waiting for it to ship. I love the series, I'm glad to hear you liked this installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is always a good read. I'm about half way through now and am having a hard time putting it down.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you've been properly entertained with these reads! I am itching for a satisfying piece of fiction. (I mean, other than Narnia. That's always satisfying to me.) But something new. Hoping next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find a good new book to read.

      But really, you can never go wrong with Narnia, especially The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

      Delete
  4. Those both sound great! I love the books that fly by...but hate it when they end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. A great book flying by always comes to a bittersweet end.

      Delete
  5. They sound promising! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've both been great reads.

      Happy reading to you, too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.