Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ornament Review: Bird-Watcher Snoopy - Spotlight on Snoopy #16 - 2013 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Funny scene using two beloved Peanuts characters
Cons: Tips forward noticeably
The Bottom Line:
Watching for new friends?
Woodstock playing with Snoopy
Makes fun ornament




Snoopy's Watching for What is Right in Front of Him

A few years ago, I felt that the Spotlight on Snoopy ornament series from Hallmark was getting tired.  They did several in a row I didn't care for at all.  But the last couple of years have been fun, and I am loving Bird-Watcher Snoopy, the entry for 2013.

The ornament features Snoopy out looking for some feathered friends.  He's got a green shirt and brown hat on to help him blend in to nature.  He's got a black camera slung around his neck, and he's holding binoculars in his hands.

What about Woodstock?  After all, Snoopy's little yellow friend is in all the others in the series.  Well, he's here, too.  He's standing on the right side of the binoculars peering down like he's trying to look through the lens backwards.

And it's that irony that makes me love this one.  Here's Snoopy out looking for birds, and his best friend is a bird.  He just doesn't seem to notice that fact even with Woodstock right there.

Of course, bird-watching isn't something that Snoopy did regularly in the comics, and it doesn't really tie in to Christmas.  But the series left the comic strip behind long ago and only has two that really tie in to Christmas.  As a result, I consider this worth noting only in passing.  I buy these because I am a Peanuts and Snoopy fan and no other reason.

With the binoculars and Woodstock perched on the end, looking at the ornament, you'd think it was fairly heavy in the front.  However, the ornament does rest comfortably on Snoopy's two feet.

However, that balance doesn't extend to trying to hang him.  The hook for hanging this ornament on your tree is located on Snoopy's hat.  There's just too much weight in front of that point, however, and he tips forward noticeably.  He looks like he's leaning forward on his very tippy toes to see something better.  I'm sure you can disguise it in a tree, but it is a disappointment.

Since this is the sixteenth ornament in the Spotlight on Snoopy series, a 16 on a Christmas tree is hidden on Snoopy's feet.  At least I assume it's a sixteen.  You need a magnifying glass to be able to really see it.  The other copyright information is down there as well.

Despite the tip, I do like Bird-Watcher Snoopy.  The first time I saw a picture, it brought a smile to my face, and the result in person has not disappointed at all.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Spotlight on Snoopy series.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.