Monday, July 15, 2013

Ornament Review: Mrs. Claus's Cupboard - 2012 Hallmark Keepsake Ornament Club Repaint

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Lots of details, so there's always something new to see
Cons: Expensive and climbing fast
The Bottom Line
Goodies, utensils
On display in this cupboard
Always viewing fun




All Kinds of Goodies in this Repaint of Mrs. Claus's Cupboard

With the current series of group artist events pieces, Hallmark has been releasing a repaint of the ornament the following year for the members of their Keepsake Ornament Club (KOC).  After getting the two pieces at a signing event earlier this year, I decided I needed to get Mrs. Claus's Cupboard.  Fortunately, I was able to get a copy of the 2012 KOC Repaint of this great ornament.

Before we get too far into the description, let's discuss the changes between this and the original.  I'm not completely sure.  I know that with this repaint, like all that Hallmark does, the items themselves are the same shape and size as they originally were.  I know that in the original the cupboard itself was white while this one is a wood brown.  From looking at pictures, I don't think any of the items themselves have changed color, but I could be wrong since I haven't seen them to compare in person.  Frankly, I prefer the brown color of this one over the white color of the original, so I'm happy I wound up with this one.

Each artist on Hallmark's keepsake roster had a hand in the design or made one of the items on the shelves, so as you can imagine, this one is filled to the brim with items.  There's a gingerbread house, cookie tree and multi-layered treat plate, cookbooks, snowman teapot, decorative plates, penguin salt and pepper shakers, and a pitcher.  Over the top shelf is a wreath, and hiding out on the very top is a pipe.

But wait, the cupboard's doors open, and we've got a muffin tin, bread board and rolling pin, and a bowl full of cookie cutters.  There's even a cat lying in a basket inside the doors.

I wasn't kidding when I talked about details, was I?  There are several layers to this, with some things being behind others on the shelves.  You can look at this for a while, and you'll keep noticing stuff you've missed.  I love ornaments like that.

Because it has so much on it, it is a bit on the tall side, roughly five and a half inches tall.  So leave some space for this one on your tree.  You'll definitely need the room.  It's also on the heavy side, so be sure you find a sturdy branch as well.

There is a ring in the top of the ornament next to the pipe.  Slip a hook through it, and you'll find it hangs straight.  When it left the table, if tilted forward very slightly, but you'd have a hard time telling for sure once it was on your tree.

Of course, you could set up a display with all the Claus's furniture pieces.  If you did that, you'll have no trouble with this piece since it rests quite naturally on all four corners solidly.

This ornament is definitely expensive at $34.95, but that's hardly surprising when you look at how many people were involved and the size and detail.  Those factors make it definitely worth owning.  I'm certainly glad I got the 2012 KOC Repaint of Mrs. Claus's Cupboard.

Original Price: $34.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.