Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ornament Review: Reading is "Snow" Much Fun - Making Memories #6 - 2013 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute ornament with another warm memory
Cons: Ties to Christmas are iffy
The Bottom Line:
Read up a snow storm
Creating warm memories
With a well loved book




Snowman Warm Memories of Reading Together

As soon as I saw this year's Making Memories ornament, I knew I'd love it.  This series from Hallmark is always cute, but this year's is special to me because it is about reading.  Seriously, how could I not love Reading is "Snow" Much Fun?

All the ornaments in this series feature a snowman adult and a snowman child in some memory making activity.  This time, the adult is sitting with the child on its lap.  The kitten they got in last year's ornament is on the right side of the adult.  The adult has a green hat with a red ball on its head, and the child is reading a blue cap with green ball.

And the book they are reading together?  There's Snow Stopping Us Now!  And this isn't just a book that sounds good for snowmen to be reading but an actual book.  It was released last year as part of a series of picture books that Hallmark releases every year.  I've missed these books, but now I will need to watch for them just to see what they are all about.  And if you turn the book around and look over the shoulders of the snowpeople, you can see what I assume is an actual page from the book.

One of my favorite things to do when I visit is read books to my niece, and I'm looking forward to doing it with my nephew when he gets a little older.  So this ornament brings with it warm memories as I just look at it.  Of course, my parents and other relatives read to me when I was young, and we always enjoyed that as well.  Plus it is cute.  All the ornaments in the series are really darling, but with my love of reading and enjoying times with my niece, this might be my favorite in the series.

As always, the snowpeople are sitting on a base that is cut out to look like a snowflake.  I love that touch as well as the fact that is makes a nice base if you wanted to display them some place other than your tree.  On the bottom of the base, you'll find the 6 in a Christmas tree showing that this is the sixth in the series.

The hook for hanging the ornament is located on the centerside of the adult snowman's hat.  With it sticking out at an angle, I wasn't sure how it would hang, but it hangs straight.

My only complaint about the series is the glitter.  Yes, it looks wonderful as it catches the light on a Christmas tree, but it also sticks to my fingers whenever I come close to touching it.  That's happened right now as I was looking at it to review it.  It's a minor issue and probably proves I'm a grump, but there you go.

Of course, it could be argued that this ornament doesn't really tie into Christmas.  The rest of the series has, but if it weren't for the title of the book they are reading, this one could be out year round.  And you know what?  I don't care.  Books are fun no matter what time of the year it is.

So I love Reading is "Snow" Much Fun.  I have a feeling every time I see it, I will be a goofy grin on my face as I think of reading to the kids in my life.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Making Memories series.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.