Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for July 26th

It's Friday!  And that must mean it is time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, my book is The Last Word by Lisa Lutz, the sixth book in the Spellman series.

And it starts like this:

Memo:
To All Spellman Employees:
Pants are mandatory.
Footwear is encouraged.
Signed,
The Management

And moving ahead to page 56, we find:

"Since Mr. and Mrs. Spellman own the property in which you do business, they would like a rental agreement in place.  I've looked at comparable spaces, with access to a kitchen, bathroom, television, and a view." 
"What view are you talking about?" 
"There's a window."

For those who know the series, this is another great read with plenty more laughs.  And if you haven't found the series yet?  Well, it features a dysfunctional family of PI's who spy on each other to learn about what is happening in their lives.  It's funny and touching at the same time.

I finished the book this afternoon, so if you want to read more, here's my review.

14 comments:

  1. Oh gawd...I can't imagine what was going on for that kind of memo to be posted at work.

    Friday's post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is a family run and mostly employed company. But yeah, it's pretty funny.

      Delete
  2. This definitely sounds funny! My boss sometimes sends around funny emails, but this has never happened before! I hope you enjoy it, thanks for sharing :)
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it wasn't supposed to be funny, so it's only funny to us....

      Delete
  3. This does sound like fun. I have The Spellman Files on my TBR mountain but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I really hope it is the first book in the series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Spellman Files is the first one.

      You only have a TBR mountain? I've got a TBR mountain range.

      Delete
  4. That beginning made me giggle.

    Thanks for participating again in Books Beginnings on Fridays!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this series but will look it up now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything I can do to help build TBR piles. ;)

      Delete
  6. Great beginning. Like the sound of it!!

    Here is my post

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.