Monday, July 1, 2013

Movie Review: How to Train Your Dragon

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Characters that draw you into the story
Cons: Predictable story that didn't grab me right away
The Bottom Line
After a slow start
I found this movie great fun.
I want a dragon.




"You Just Gestured to all of Me."

Somewhere along the way, my life got busier than it used to be, and the activity that has dropped off is trips to the movies.  That’s why I am just now catching 2010’s computer animated movie How to Train Your Dragon despite all the glowing reviews I’ve heard about it.  And it was certainly enjoying.

The movie introduces us to Hiccup (voiced by Jay Baruchel).  Hiccup is a Viking, but he’s the smallest and scrawniest of all.  His village is regularly attacked by dragons, and he longs to go out and fight them, but every time he does, he gets in the way.

Then one day two things happen.  First, he actually captures one, but instead of killing it, he lets it go and even befriends it.  Then he is offered a chance to be trained to fight dragons.  Does he still want to fight dragons?

I thought I knew where this story was going early on, and I pretty much did.  In fact, in the early stages, I found the execution so predictable that I was just a little bored.

But somewhere along the way, I began to really care for Hiccup and Toothless (the dragon he’s befriended).  I wanted them to have a happy ending.  And at that point, I was very invested in the story and didn’t care how predictable it was.  I was having fun.

Speaking of fun, there were some scenes that were so pleasant I had a smile on my face.  Not to say that the entire film was that way.  Some scenes near the end are rather dark, easily earning the film its PG rating.  I did enjoy the story they told, so I’m not criticizing, just warning that the film isn’t all fun and games.

As with many Dreamworks films, the animation is good in a stylized way.  I’m not just talking about the characters who are fine for an animated film.  There is a look to their films that never quite lets you forget that you are watching something that was created on a computer.  Still, they manage to sneak in a few truly breathtaking shots, especially one late in the film involving fog.

The voice acting is great.  Jay Baruchel has to pretty much carry the film since there are many scenes that are just him.  The cast is filled out by Gerald Butler, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Robin Atkins, Downes, and Kristen Wiig.  They all do a great job, and it’s easy to forget who you are listening to and enjoy the characters they are creating.

While the story started out familiar, I got caught up in the fun that is How to Train Your Dragon.  If you’ve missed it, make a point of watching this enjoyable flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.