Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Music Review: The Hurt & the Healer by MercyMe

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great lyrics and fun music - MercyMe staples
Cons: Songs can all blend together
The Bottom Line
MercyMe is back
Mixing great lyrics and rock
Makes addicting disc




MercyMe is Back Doing What They Do Best

Since bursting on the scene with their debut, MercyMe has been a steady force in Christian music.  Their early adult pop sound has given way to soft rock, but that's the biggest change for these guys.  And they are back proving they still can entertain with The Hurt & The Healer.

MercyMe starts things off with the upbeat "You Know Better."  The drums are flying as Bart Millard sings about the need to trust God.  You guessed it, I really do like this song.  It's fun with a catchy melody.  But any song about the struggle between trusting God and trying to do things on my own is always a good reminder that "I'm not the one in control."

Of course, they follow it up with possibly my least favorite song on the disc.  I get what they were trying to do with "You Don't Care at all."  But the refrain that "You don't care at all" is too simple, and that's the part that gets stuck in my head.  Plus the idea that God doesn't care about what we are going through isn't right either.  Of course, the real point is that when God has forgiven us of our sins, He forgets about them, but it doesn't quite come across right.

The title track really reminds us that Jesus is there for us in the midst of any pain we are going through.  They slow things down a little for this track.  Meanwhile, they bring in a choir for the anthem "To Whom It May Concern," which is really a call to put your past behind you and move on as well as a call for others not to judge us by our past.

I really like the idea behind "You are I Am."  The verses are about me and who I am - fearful doubter who can't do anything on his own.  Then comes the chorus, which reminds us that "You're the One who conquers giants…You shut the mouths of lions…You are I Am."  The use of God's name from the Old Testament really plays well with the contrasts they create between the verses and the chorus.

Bear Rinehart of Needtobreathe joins them for "Take the Time," a reminder to help those in need.  "Don't Give Up on Me" is a plea to God to continue to forgive despite constantly falling back into sin.  "Hold On" reminds us that the beauty here on Earth is just a taste of what God has in store for us in Heaven.  And "Best of Me" is a song of surrender, telling God "I won't just give You the best of me/When You want You want my everything."

When I really stop and listen to this disc, I notice differences between song - different tempos and melodies.  However, when I put this disc in my car and just listen, the songs begin to blend together after a while.  Frankly, that's something that MercyMe has done in the past - find a style they like and stick with it for the entire disc.

But here's the thing - I like it.  Normally, something like that would probably cost a disc a couple of stars, but I can't do that here.  I really do enjoy what I am hearing and find myself tapping my toes and singing along as I learn the words.  It's fun.

The exception to this is "The First Time," which closes out the disc.  Instead of being electric guitar driven, this ballad is piano based.  Yes, it's a typical closer for MercyMe in that regard, but it also makes it start out from the rest of the disc.  The lyrics marvel at God's mercy to save us.

The Hurt & The Healer is certainly to please MercyMe's fans with new music they'll enjoy.  On the other hand, there is nothing here that will change anyone's minds about this group.  Since I am a fan, I know I will enjoy the songs here for some time to come.

CD Length: 39:04
Tracks:
1. You Know Better
2. You Don't Care at all
3. The Hurt and the Healer
4. To Whom it May Concern
5. You are I Am
6. Take the Time
7. Don't Give Up on Me
8. Hold On
9. Best of Me
10. The First Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.