Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Music Review: I'll Lead You Home by Michael W. Smith

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: "I'm Waiting for You" and "I'll Lead You Home"
Cons: "The trilogy" doesn't quite seem to fit with everything else
The Bottom Line
A fun pop release
With very poetic songs
Winner for Michael




Michael W. Smith Came Home with I'll Lead You Home

The early 90’s were an interesting time in the career of Michael W. Smith.  After the success of his single “Place in This World” on the pop charts, he tried to go rockier and less overtly Christian with his next release.  But he returned to the Christian music fold with 1995’s I'll Lead You Home.  (And from there, he’d wind up with some highly successful worship oriented discs.  Talk about a pendulum swing.)

This disc finds Michael doing what he does best, mid-tempo pop with thoughtful lyrics.  The first track was also the first radio hit at the time, “Cry for Love.”  It’s got a catchy rhythm and melody but the lyrics are on the serious side.  While on the surface, it sounds like someone looking for love, when you really listen to it, you’ll see that it’s the call of someone repenting and turning to God.  The bridge really drives that home with “Father hear my call/I hope you catch me when I fall.”

Then there’s “Breakdown.”  It contrasts the legacy of our founding with where we were then as a country.  I would say the contrast is even starker almost 20 years later.  The song itself is the only rock track on the disc, and it incorporates bits of Martin Luther King’s famous “I Have a Dream Speech.”  It’s a very effective song, and fun to listen to as well.  The theme is revisited again in “Someday,” a duet with Susan Aston that contrasts the problems in our modern world (again of 1995 but still applicable) to the kingdom of God that will come someday.

Not surprisingly, “As it is in Heaven” is a new take on The Lord’s Prayer.  It starts slow and quiet and builds as it goes along.  It’s just over 5 minutes long, which surprises me.  I never would have guessed it was that long. 

A couple of the songs focus directly on friendship.  “Straight to the Heart” is a slower track that speaks to the power of friendship in our times of need.  “I’ll be Around” is the flip side, the stronger friend who is going to be there no matter what you are facing or what you have done.  This second one especially sounds very much like God talking, but it would apply equally to His unconditional love for those who repent and our efforts to help those around us in need.

Finally, we get to the title track.  “I’ll Lead You Home” is an anthem written from God’s point of view and is a promise to come and find those who have wandered away from Him and want to come back.  It’s such a comfort to be reminded that we can never truly run from God.  This was another huge hit on radio, and it’s obvious why all these years later.  The message is still that good.

Then we come to the trilogy – three songs with heavy orchestration and slow tempos that blend into each other.  “The Other Side of Me” could be a generic love song, but “Breathe in Me” is definitely a cry to God for a renewal of love for Him and renewal.  Then there’s “Angels Unaware.”  I’m still not quite sure about the song, but the lyrics are filled with some interesting poetic images.  To be honestly, I’m ambivalent about these tracks.  They are pretty.  They have some of the most poetic lyrics I think he’s ever done.  But I could easily skip them.  Other people think they are the best songs on the disc, so opinions obvious vary.

We come out of those songs and this the home stretch.  We’re back to upbeat pop with “Calling Heaven,” heavy on drum machine and keyboard.  The upbeat nature belies the more serious side of the lyrics that look at the abused in our society and asks Heaven to help them.

You can’t help but smile at “A Little Stronger Everyday.”  It’s got a fun beat and some entertaining lyrics as Michael sings about his the daily battle to be more like Christ.

And for something completely different, there’s “Crown Him with Many Crowns.”  Anointed, at the time, a quartet, joins him for this Southern Gospel version of the classic hymn.  It’s so incredibly fun you will be tapping your toes before you know it.

The disc ends with the unassuming “I’m Waiting for You.”  It’s a quiet song with almost no music behind his voice.  It’s mainly keyboard, in fact.  Written from Jesus’ point of view, it’s a call to repent and turn to Him.  Something about it grabbed me from the first listen and hasn’t let go yet.  As much as I love some of the earlier songs (and I really do), this is my favorite song on the disc by far.

Some will probably point to the dated production on here.  It was released in 1995, after all.  I’ve got to admit, I have a hard time hearing much that dates it outside some songs like “Breakdown” where he tries to get .  It’s certainly not as dated as some of his 80’s releases, that’s for sure.  With the focus on his keyboard playing backed by some drum, guitar, and bass, it’s not so bad you wouldn’t be able to enjoy it.

And enjoy it I still do.  I'll Lead You Home was a very solid release from Michael W. Smith that I continue to enjoy today.

CD Length: 1:03:12
Tracks:
1. Cry for Love
2. Breakdown
3. As it is in Heaven
4. Straight to the Heart
5. Someday
6. I’ll be Around
7. I’ll Lead You Home
8. The Other Side of Me
9. Breath in Me
10. Angels Unaware
11. Calling Heaven
12. A Little Stronger Everyday
13. Crown Him with Many Crowns
14. I’m Waiting for You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.