Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Music Review: UnPractice Makes Perfect by Street Corner Symphony

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Original songs and covers made fresh.
Cons: I wish it were longer.
The Bottom Line
Such wonderful blend
Highlights this a cappella
Can't stop listening




UnPractice Makes a Perfect Debut for Street Corner Symphony

While I was watching season 2 of The Sing Off, I was torn every week between wanting two groups to win.  One of those groups did win, and the other came in second.  That second place group was Street Corner Symphony, and when they released a disc late last year, I knew I had to get it.  I haven't been disappointed with UnPractice Makes Perfect.

This is an a cappella group, so at first listen, it might seem a bit different.  But you will soon be captivated by their unique blend and won't be missing those instruments in the slightest.  Let me tell you, these six guys can harmonize like you wouldn't believe.  It probably helps that there are two pairs of brothers in the group.  The sound is oh so wonderful.  And each of the guys takes at least one turn in the spotlight as the lead vocalist.  The name of the disc comes from the idea of a group of friends singing together instead of spending endless hours rehearsing.  I don't know what their rehearsal schedule is really like, but the results here are great.

There are lots of arrangements of other songs on this disc, starting right off with "Hey, Soul Sister" originally recorded by Train.  Tenors Jeremy Lister and Jonathan McLemore split the leads on this song.  Die hard fans of the original will probably notice the slight differences in lead vocals or the fact that the harmonizing voices sound different, but most of us will enjoy this.  And, really, picking apart differences would be nitpicking.  You'll get goose bumps the first time you hear their fade in and out.

Another fun cover is "Drift Away."  Yes, we're talking about the song made most famous by Dobie Gray.  They've got a more upbeat version here, and I can't help smiling as I sing along.

Baritone Richie Lister takes the lead on the cover of Michael Buble's "Everything."  This celebration of love is so much fun, it's another song that makes me smile every time I hear it.

Two of the last three songs are in a more serious vein.  First, there's "Mad World."  This Tears for Fears classic sounds so haunting with the voices harmonizing together.  In fact, I often catch myself singing the chorus days after hearing it.  John Martin, the third tenor of the group, does amazing with the lead.

The only bass, Adam Chance, grabs the spotlight on the final song, "Dead Man's Will."  It's an appropriately somber cover of Iron & Wine's song.  Even though it's a downer to end the disc with, it manages to leave a bittersweet taste in my mouth instead of a truly bad one.

In between those songs?  They pump things up with "Down on the Corner," one of their best arrangements for The Sing Off.  If you aren't tapping your feet along with this cover of the Creedence Clearwater Revival hit, there is something wrong with you.

But these guys don't just create arrangements of other's songs.  Four of the songs were written by members of the group.  One of these is the upbeat "Plain Jane."  It's a song of encouragement to those who march to the beat different from the rest of society and how much they can enrich us.  And the tempo just adds to the message.

Then there's second Baritone Mark McLemore's solo, which he also wrote.  "Most of It" asks if the singer really tried in a relationship.  What's great about this one is the harmonies in the background.  They are tight, and one wrong note would have ruined the entire thing.  Trust me, there isn't a bad note here.

"Holding On" is one of their simpler arrangements, but the mid-tempo is fun in this original song about a love you just can't let go.

Finally, there's "World to Me."  Jonathan McLemore's smooth solo starts the song, a song of commitment because of love.  Again, we've got a nice mid-tempo piece; the backgrounds are really varied here.

Honestly, I'm hard pressed to find one weak song in the bunch.  They all have their own strengths, and I can listen to this disc over and over again.  Which means the fact that it's only 34 minutes is definitely a down side.  I want more.

This disc was self-produced and released, and I'm glad Street Corner Symphony did that.  I just can't get enough of UnPractice Makes Perfect.

CD Length: 34:33
Tracks:
1. Hey, Soul Sister
2. Holding On
3. Plain Jane
4. Drift Away
5. Most of It
6. Everything
7. World to Me
8. Mad World
9. Down on the Corner
10. Dead Man's Will

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.