Thursday, July 11, 2013

Candy Review: Milky Way Caramel Apple Miniature Bars

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Delicious blend of caramel and chocolate
Cons: Only a slight hint of cinnamon and apple flavoring
The Bottom Line
Flavor tastes the same
So why buy these when you can
Get original?




Quickly Loses that Apple Taste

I’m not a big fan of raw apples, so I’ve never tried regular caramel apples.  On the other hand, I love Milky Way candy bars.  That was enough to get me to try their fall flavor – Caramel Apple Milky Way.  Frankly, it’s hard to tell the difference between them and the originals.

For those not familiar with the candy bars, the originals consist of nougat and caramel surrounded by milk chocolate.  How can you possibly go wrong with that combination?  And I do love them.  Really, it’s hard to improve on that combination of flavors.

The only difference here is the addiction of apple to the mix.  I found a bag of these at my local Target in the mini size, and I popped one in my mouth as soon as I got back to my car.  It tasted mostly like the Milky Way, but it had a nice hint of apple and cinnamon flavor.  I thought it was good, so I grabbed another one.  With this one, I found almost no apple flavor – just the normal blend of the Milky Way bars with the tiniest hint of cinnamon.  I had several more, and I found the same thing.

Thinking I might be expecting too much, I set the bag aside and tried them again the next day.  And again, there was no real apple flavor to be found.  Eating them side by side with regular Milky Ways (the ways I sacrifice to write reviews), I could definitely tell a difference, but the apple and cinnamon flavor is just too weak.

Frankly, this leaves me rather stumped on how to rate.  I do like the resulting flavor, but then again I love Milky Ways.  But this is supposed to be something more.  After all, you can buy Milky Ways year round.  This should be special, right?

Of course, these aren’t good for you, but what do you expect from candy?  There are 190 calories in just five small candy (easily a bite each) with no redeeming qualities worth mentioning.

The ingredients back this up since they consist mainly of milk chocolate, sugar, and natural flavors.  And since apple and cinnamon must be part of the "natural flavors," it's no wonder the taste underwhelms.

In the end, I find I just can’t recommend rushing out to buy these candies.  While a nice idea, they just don’t taste different enough from the original to make Caramel Apple Milky Way worth buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.