Friday, July 5, 2013

Ice Cream Bar Review: Magnum Mint Ice Cream Bars

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Delicious combination of mint and milk chocolate
Cons: Crunch aspect doesn't really add anything
The Bottom Line:
Enjoy mint flavor?
You'll love these ice cream bars with
High quality taste

No Need to Look for Other Mint Ice Cream Bars

Even with all the brands out there, most ice cream bars come down to vanilla ice cream and chocolate coating.  Sometimes, you'll find caramel in the mix.  That's why when I discovered that Magnum had added a new flavor to their line up and it was Mint, I had to try it.  It was absolutely as delicious as I expected it to be.

Magnum bars have only been available in the states for a year or so, but they've been available overseas for much longer.  They use quality ice cream and Belgian chocolate on the outside to make for a bar that is every bit a treat.  They serve them up three to a box on wooden sticks.  They are on the upper end of ice cream bars since a box of 3 is usually in the $3 to $4 range, but as a spurge, they are worth it.

The base of these bars is actually a mint ice cream.  It's got a great, rich flavor which I would enjoy all by itself.  But they are surrounded in delicious Belgian milk chocolate.  Unlike the other bars, the milk chocolate isn't smooth.  Instead, they've added caramelized sugar crunch pieces to get it a little extra.

Actually, it's those crunch pieces that are the only real flaw to these bars.  Now I love "crunch" in my chocolate, and that's carried over to some ice cream bars.  Here, I don't think it adds anything to the bars.  I notice a bit more when I bit into them, but that's it.  There's no extra taste, so I'm not sure it is worth it.

But I also don't think the crunch takes anything away from the bars.  Overall, these bars taste wonderful.  It pretty much tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream, only with true quality ingredients.  I know I already said rich, but that is the best way to describe the overall taste.  It's wonderful and lingers long after the bar is done.

And the ingredients are quality, which is why they taste so good.  The list of ingredients is fairly short, and consist of the things you'd expect like milk, cream, sugar, peppermint extract, cocoa butter, and chocolate liquor.  Yes, there are some things I'm not sure what are in these bars, but that list is actually surprisingly small.

What isn't a surprise is the fact that they aren't good for you.  But how can anything that tastes this good be good for you?  One bar is 250 calories, 140 of them from fat.  And the list of nutrients they have is limited to 4% of a recommended daily helping of Vitamin A and 8% each of Calcium and Iron.  So, really, these are empty calories.

But these empty calories taste so good.  As an occasional treat, peppermint lovers can't go wrong with Magnum Mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.