Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Candy Review: M&M's - White Chocolate Candy Corn

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Sweet tasting white chocolate candy
Cons: More sweet than anything else; not good for you
The Bottom Line
This candy tastes sweet
But overpowers after
Just a few handfuls

Sweet and Slightly Flavored Treat

I have a confession to make - I’m not a fan of candy corn.  Yes, you knew there was one person in the world like that, and here I am.  But I was still tempted enough to try the limited edition Candy Corn M&Ms.  They are sweet, but I don’t think they compare with the originals.

There are few surprises when looking at the outside of these candies.  They still have the candy coating, and they are colored.  Yep, you guessed it – yellow, orange, and white.

The inside is where the surprises really start coming.  Instead of the usual chocolate that makes up M&M’s, you’ll find white chocolate.  I know, I know, purists are running for the hills already, and those who don’t consider white chocolate to be true chocolate will certainly be justified in turning away right there.  Personally, I enjoy white chocolate occasionally, so I was intrigued.

The other difference is the attempt to add some caramel/candy corn flavor.  Frankly, I think it succeeds.  Again, keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who doesn’t love candy corn, but I like the flavoring here.  The white chocolate actually makes a good conduit for the flavoring.  I love caramel, so that helps.  And since one of my big gripes with candy corn is the weird texture, the familiar texture of the M&M’s helps with that.

And yet….

Ultimately, these taste sweet.  There is absolutely no denying that.  But they are a bit too sweet.  Yes, there is such a thing.  And that sweetness isn’t super well defined.  They taste good, but in small doses.

So this might actually be one time where candy isn’t as bad for you as normal.  Oh, don’t get me wrong, there is still little to nothing redeeming about these candies.  There are 220 calories, 100 of the from fat, in a serving, which is defined as a quarter cup or about one seventh of the 9.9 oz bag I got.  And for once having two or three servings and stopping doesn’t take more self-control than I have.  Nutrients?  Don’t make me laugh.  But what can you expect from something made up of sugar, cocoa butter, milk fat, and cornstarch to name but a few of the unhealthy ingredients.

Don’t misunderstand; I do like these Candy Corn M&Ms because they are good for something different.  It’s just they aren’t nearly as addicting as their more famous cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.