Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Movie Review: Daredevil (2003)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Makes Matt/Daredevil into a real character in a good story
Cons: Long prolog, parts of the soundtrack
The Bottom Line
Dark superhero
Creates a real character
And tells good story




On a Second Viewing, I Still Don't Get the Complaints about Daredevil

The main reason I went to see Daredevil when it was in the theaters in 2003 was because of Jennifer Garner.  This was in the middle of her run on Alias, and I will admit to having a crush on her.  I remembered enjoying it at the time, but I've heard complaints about it since.  So when I decided to watch it again, I thought I might see those issues.  Honestly, I still enjoyed it.

The movie tells the story of Matt Murdock.  As a boy (Scott Terra) he is blinded in an accident involving toxic waste.  But the toxins make the rest of his senses super strong, so he is more than able to compensate.  He can even use sound vibrations to "see" what is around him.  As an adult (Ben Affleck), he becomes a lawyer, fighting for justice.  And when justice doesn't happen in the courts, he takes matters into his own hands as Daredevil, a masked superhero/vigilante.

Things get really interesting when he meets Elektra Natchios (Jennifer Garner).  Through her, he winds up facing off against crime boss Kingpin (Michael Duncan Clark) and he hired assassin Bullseye (Colin Farrell).  Who will be left standing in the aftermath?

Now I'm not saying this movie is perfect.  The prolog, while important to the overall story and the character arc, certainly takes a long time.  This is part origin tale and part regular story, and that makes the pace slower than it should be.

Frankly, I also didn't care much for the soundtrack most of the time.  In keeping with the darker, gritty feel they were going for, there is plenty of rap and hip hop, genres I can't stand.  That was annoying at times, but usually the songs weren't on for very long.

Now maybe it's because I know nothing about the characters portrayed here, but I liked the story overall.  Even when we have the extended flashback to Matt Murdock's youth, I was pulled into the story.  The entire movie kept me engaged, even though I remembered the broad outline of the plot.

The character growth for Matt as we watch him from beginning to end is actually rather amazing.  I don't much care for him at times at the beginning, but by the end I actually do like his character and how he's matured.

The acting is really what anchors things.  I found Ben Affleck believable as Matt/Daredevil.  Fanboy that I am, I will admit that a scene or two from Jennifer Garner doesn't quite ring true, but I found most of her performance believable.  And Colin Farrell is appropriately creepy as Bullseye.  Michael Duncan Clark isn't given much to do as Kingpin, but he makes the most of his scenes as well.

They actually created the "images" that Matt can see based on sound, and it's pretty well done.  I can believe that this is what it would actually be like.  And those images also create one of the most emotionally powerful scenes involving Elektra and Matt.

Frankly, I found all the effects to be believable, although I wasn't paying close attention to them.  Maybe that's the highest praise I can give - they didn't get in the way at all.  I also enjoyed the stunts.  At times I had to turn off my brain and believe the premise that a blind man could do everything we see Matt doing, but when I did, I had fun.  And there's a fight scene in a playground that has to be the most fun I've ever seen.

The tone of this one is darker than many superheroes.  For some reason, I found that darkness to make the film even more intriguing.

I honestly don't get how this is considered so much worse than much of today's superhero movies.  It was certainly one of the darker films in the genre for that era, but in the days of Batman Begins and especially The Dark Knight, I don't find it as dark as I did originally.  In many ways, I think it laid the foundation for those films by showing us a darker superhero.

So I say give the movie a second chance on its own merits.  You might just find yourself enjoying Daredevil more than you originally did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.