Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Music Review: My Father's Eyes by Amy Grant

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Some great songs with powerful lyrics
Cons: Some weak lyrics and very dated music
The Bottom Line
70's music
Holds some still relevant thoughts
Give it a listen




Dated Yet Timeless

There is absolutely no way to listen to My Father's Eyes, Amy Grant's second release, and not pin it down time wise.  The music on the disc is fairly simple, featuring piano or guitar almost exclusively.  While not really folk, it's at the folk end of pop and screams late 70's.  Amy recorded it during her senior year of high school, and at times the lyrics are simple.

And yet, there are some very good lyrics here in some songs I still love.  Ok, so it helps that I got this in high school, so I've had way too many years to listen to it and enjoy it.  But some of these songs are truly timeless in their thoughts.

The disc opens with what could be considered Amy's first mega hit.  "Father's Eyes" is a simple yet profound song that asks God for the faith and humility to have eyes that "find the good in things when good is not around/Eyes that find the source of help when help just can't be found."  And the production is very simple here, with a hint of keyboard and drums behind the guitar.  As an interesting trivia note, this song was the first one Amy recorded written by her first husband, Gary Chapman.

Up next is a challenge to live by faith.  "Faith Walkin' People" is slightly faster as Amy sings about the mystery of living by faith in what we can't see when surrounded by a world we can.  There's nothing really that profound here, but it's a good reminder of how we should be living our life.

There's an interesting song on here about a singer who has traded their message for fame and fortune.  "Always the Winner" finds this singer struggling with life as a result.  While I don't think Amy has sold out as much as the person she sings about here, I do find it interesting in light of where her career has taken her.  This one incorporates some strings.

And those strings carry over to "Never Give You Up."  Despite a slow beginning, it picks up speed for the chorus as Amy sings her commitment to always follow God.  And this one screams late 70's more than some of the others.

"Bridegroom" feels more like a march with a steady drumming and even uses some trumpet and flute.  Meanwhile, "Lay Down" encourages us to surrender our burdens to God.  Both songs are okay, but they aren't ones I usually spend much time listening to.

On the other hand, there's "You Were There."  With more of an orchestra behind her, Amy sings about how God has always been watching out for her.  This song in mid-tempo, and is probably the fastest the disc gets.  No, you definitely don't put this one in to rock out.

"O Sacred Head" is a departure from the rest of the disc.  Amy leads several others in an a cappella version of the Bach hymn.  The only thing in the background is sounds of rain and thunder.  It's beautiful and was my introduction to this great hymn.  It's still among my favorites.

"All That I Need is You" is another song I'm not super fond of.  It's a quiet piano ballad, and Amy is once again singing about her need for God in the daily struggles of life.  This is one I like more when I first got the disc but have outgrown over the years since.

On the other hand, I still enjoy "Fairytale."  Amy mixes an interesting choice of instruments to give this one an unique feel.  Okay, so it's probably just a few different settings on a keyboard, but it fits the song.  The lyrics compare and contrast fairytales with God's true redemption of us.  It's an interesting idea, and I still like it.

And then there's "Giggle."  I know many people hate this song because of the childish chorus.  It's more upbeat, and Amy uses the song as a way to stand up to those around her.  The first verse talks stopping to help someone in need while the second is about standing up for God in school.  It's dated.  It's simple.  It's still fun, but I think you had to hear it first at the right age.

That's not the case with "There Will Never be Another."  A duet with her producer Brown Bannister, this quiet guitar piece marvels at how much God has loved us.  It's one of those songs you just can't listen to without getting goose bumps.  It's beautiful and powerful.

Finally, the disc closes out with another a cappella song.  "Keep It on Going," about sharing our faith, is just over a minute long and is a fun closer.

Yes, the music dates the disc.  Yes, some of the songs are simple.  But there are many that are still good and remind me of other times in my life.  My Father's Eyes isn't Amy's best release, but it's still one I enjoy.

CD Length: 38:25
Tracks:
1. Father's Eyes
2. Faith Walkin' People
3. Always the Winner
4. Never Give You Up
5. Bridegroom
6. Lay Down
7. You Were There
8. O Sacred Head
9. All That I Need is You
10. Fairytale
11. Giggle
12. There Will Never be Another
13. Keep it on Going

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.