Monday, July 8, 2013

Music Review: Timeless - The Selah Collection

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Four discs of great music
Cons: Will mostly appeal to those who enjoy hymns
The Bottom Line
Four discs of great hymns
That you will hear in new ways
In this collection




Timeless Box Set of Selah Music

When my birthday rolled around this year, I'd just barely bought any Selah music, but I but them on my wish list.  Soon after, I discovered the set Timeless: The Selah Collection.  It looked like a great deal to me, and I planned to buy it soon after my birthday if I didn't get any of the music.  My parents came through, however, and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Released in 2007, this is a four disc CD set.  The last disc is a bonus disc, but the first three are their first three studio releases.  Since I didn't have any of these discs, it made a perfect way to get them.

Selah has several trademarks.  They've got great harmonies, and they are known for creating passionate arrangements of classic hymns that make them seem alive in a new way.  The trio consists of Todd Smith, his sister Nicol Sponberg, and their friend Allan Hall.  Todd and Nicol do most of the vocals, although Allan gets into the act every so often.  Allan's main contribution is his wonderful piano playing which is just as much a part of their sound as their harmonies.  Another thing they like to do is include a song or two on each disc in Kituba, the native language in the part of Zaire where Todd and Nicol grew up as missionary kids.

Disc one is their 1999 debut, Be Still My Soul.  This disc is almost nothing but hymns, with versions of "Great is Thy Faithfulness," "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," and "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" here.  They do include some more modern classics like Larry Norman's "Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation" and Andre Crouch's "The Blood will Never Lose Its Power."  While most of the songs are fairly inspirational in their arrangements, they do get into Gospel once or twice.  It makes for an eclectic mix, but it works to hold your attention.

The second disc is 2001's Press On.  Again, we've got hymns like "There is a Fountain" and "Were You There."  They incorporate a bit more modern songs like covers of Evie's "Hold On" and modern worship classic "Wonderful Merciful Savior."  The gospel flavor to "Amazing Grace" really helps it stand out from all the versions that have been recorded over the years.  I was disappointed that they included some Kituba verses to "How Great Thou Art" since it's one of my favorite hymns and I, selfishly, would prefer it all in English.  However, I do enjoy the chanted "Yesu Azali Awa."

2004 saw the release of Hiding Place, the third disc in this set.  This disc stands out because of Nicol and Todd's amazing duet on the title track.  I could listen to it all day.  They've got a great arrangement of "O the Deep Deep Love of Jesus" on here as well.  They cover Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" and include newer songs "All My Praise" and "All of Me."

But all of this stuff, fans have already had.  What about the bonus content that makes this set stand out?

I'm glad you asked.  Disc 4 is the bonus disc, and it includes some previously released stuff as well as some new material only available here.  Among the previous released material, we've got "Be Thou My Vision" and "Be Thou Near to Me" from their Best of release Greatest Hymns, which means there is only one song from that disc not in this collection.  They also include several songs from their duets album Bless the Broken Road like the title track and "Mary Sweet Mary." 

Seven of the eleven tracks here are newly released, and they haven't shown up on any other project they've done since.  There's a fun gospel version of "I Didn't Think it Could Be" as well as a simpler demo version of "Through it All," a song that showed up with a Gospel version on Hiding Place.  While I’m not a fan of the hymn "Were You There," there is an amazing live version of just Todd singing it a cappella.  I much prefer it to the version of the hymn that showed up on Press On.  I dare you to listen to it without getting goosebumps.

The bonus songs on this set were put together about the time that Amy Perry joined the group, formally replacing Nicol, who left for a solo career.  The new recordings all feature here.  I was amazed at just how low her voice gets in "There is a Redeemer."  "Revive Us Again" gets a Gospel revival tent treatment, and it's lots of fun.  But what really stands out to me is "Rescue Me," an original song that begs God for help is facing the trials of life.

What ties all these discs together, even with the change in personnel by the last disc is the passion behind the vocals.  No matter what mood you are in, it is impossible not to have your spirit lifted in worship by the time you are done with one of these discs.  The hymns are classics for a reason - the timeless truths they contain.  And you can tell that the members of Selah truly believe what they are singing.  It's wonderfully amazing to hear.  And their voices are so strong.

But we aren't done yet.  The four discs come in a sturdy cardboard book (for lack of a better term).  In the middle is an extensive booklet that contains a history of the group, all the lyrics with thoughts on the songs by their members, and lots of pictures.

For anyone just getting into Selah's music, I can't recommend Timeless: The Selah Collection enough.  There is nothing better for the price, and the rare stuff on the last disc is well worth getting.  Long time fans will have to decide if the bonus material is worth getting the duplicate discs for.  Then again, maybe you can give away your original copies and get more people hooked on Selah.

Bonus Disc: 38:55
Tracks:
1. Bless the Broken Road (with Melodie Crittenden)
2. Be Thou My Vision (with Nicol Sponberg)
3. Glory (with Amy Perry) (Previously Unreleased)
4. Mary Sweet Mary (with Plumb)
5. Be Thou Near to Me (with Amy Perry)
6. I Didn't Think It Could Be (with Nichol Sponberg) (Previously Unreleased)
7. There is a Redeemer (with Amy Perry) (New Recording)
8. Revive Us Again (with Amy Perry) (New Recording)
9. Rescue Me (with Amy Perry) (New Recording)
10. Were You There (Live) (Previously Unreleased)
11. Through It All (Demo) (with Nichol Sponberg) (Previously Unreleased)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.