Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ornament Review: Stargazer Lily Fairy - 2012 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful coloring and a fun pose
Cons: A fairy (but that's mainly an issue for me)
The Bottom Line
Delicate fairy
Designed for lily lovers
Will make them happy




Beautiful Magenta Makes This Special Addition to Fairy Messengers Stand Out

There are few ornaments I rule out right off the bat when I'm looking at Hallmark's line.  One of those categories is their fairy ornaments.  I'm a guy, I'm just not that into fairies.  That's why I've pretty much avoided their Fairy Messengers series until a friend asked me to get the Stargazer Lily Fairy for her.  I've got to admit, it is beautiful.

I'm a little unfamiliar with this series, but it looks like the fairies in it are each based on a different flower.  The official ornament for 2012 is the Tiger Lily.  But Hallmark did a special repaint that members of their collector club could buy in the spring, and that was based on the stargazer lily.

The ornament features a young, beautiful fairy with flowing brown hair going to her right.  She's got green eyes and clear wings behind her.  In the way of clothes, she is wearing a dress that looks like an upside down stargazer lily bloom.  The bottom of the dress is definitely what would normally be the top petals.  The dress is a light magenta/dark pink color that really is a pretty color.  And the way it contrasts with her tan skin and brown hair is lovely.  There are some darker spots in the petal part to show some texture.

The outsides of the petals are covered in glitter.  At least on the one I have, there are some stray pieces in her hair as well as some on the wings.  And yes, that means it gets on your hands when you touch it, my main issue with glitter.

The main ornament for this year is the same pose.  The only real different between the two is the color of the dress.  Not surprising even to me (who doesn't know his lilies), the tiger lily version is orange.

Because this fairy is supposed to be flying, there is no way to get her to stand.  In fact, she has her toes pointed, so it really is impossible to get her to stand at all.  When you hang her, she really gives the effect of flying, and it's a nice effect.

An interesting point, even though this is a repaint and not the official ornament in the series, you can still find the 8 in a Christmas tree that will be on the regular line piece.

As much as I am impressed by this ornament, I'm not going to try to back collect the series.  Instead, I will pass on the Stargazer Lily Fairy to a good home where she will be enjoyed.  Anyone who loves flowers and fairies will be happy to add this to their collection.

Original Price: $9.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.