Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ornament Review: A Very Merry Christmas Tree - 2012 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Very fun idea executed perfectly
Cons: None; I think it will appeal to most pop culture fans
The Bottom Line
Grumpy and Dopey
Create a different tree
That all will enjoy




Grumpy and Dopey Form a Very Merry Christmas Tree Ornament

While I don’t buy every Disney ornament that Hallmark produces, I definitely take a careful look at them all.  Almost immediately, I knew I was going to have to buy A Very Merry Christmas Tree.

The ornament is inspired by the moment in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs when Dopey stands on Sneezy’s shoulders to create a “prince” for Snow White to dance to.  However, instead of Sneezy, Grumpy is standing on the bottom, and he’s not looking too happy about it.  Then again, when has he ever looked happy?  Dopey, on the other hand, has a big smile on his face.  They both have their arms out, and they have a ball ornament in each of their hands.  Dopey is even balancing a star on top of his head.  And he has the yellow-green coat from this scene in the movie draped over them.  It’s open enough that you can still see the dwarfs, but if you turn it around, you just see the arms and the star sticking out from the coat.  There is also gold garland wrapped around them.

Okay, so the DisNerd in me has some problems with the casting.  Why not use Sneezy like in the movie?  Or why not use Happy?  After all, he’d really make the tree merry.  The answer, of course, is that Grumpy is more popular than these other two.  In fact, it seems like most of the merchandise we get from Disney featuring the dwarfs features either Grumpy or Dopey if all of them aren't included.

That complaint aside, I do really like the ornament.  It’s cute and clever.  Plus these are two characters that Hallmark doesn’t seem to do much with.  And while it would never pass as a Christmas tree, it would certainly make anyone smile who the dwarfs were trying to cheer up.  And that makes me smile.

I don’t seem to be the only one who likes the ornament because my local stores have had a very hard time keeping it in stock.  It sold out the first weekend of release in July.  A reorder has sold out as well.  I snagged one of the last two in October, so if you think you want it, I recommend getting it sooner rather than later.

This ornament is tall, but it does stand up.  Grumpy’s feet are flat enough and the balance is just right.  And I'm a little surprised at just how stable it is standing.  It must help that Dopey is leaning slightly forward, making the star on his head stick forward a bit.

Really, however, I recommend hang it from your Christmas tree via the hook hiding behind the star.  I barely noticed when picking it up by the hook directly from a standing position that it tilts slightly to the left.  I couldn't tell anything like that when I was looking at it, however, so I suspect most everyone won't notice at all, especially by the time you've put it on your tree.

This has got to be one of the most clever and most fun ornaments of the year.  I highly recommend you find a way to get A Very Merry Christmas Tree.

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.