Friday, July 5, 2013

Home Review: Lemi Shine

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cleans my dishes of the hard water spots and keeps them that way
Cons: Nothing, nadda, zip, zero
The Bottom Line
Fighting hard water?
Lemi Shine to the rescue
Dishes sparkling clean




After Just One Use, I Became a Lemi Shine Convert

I have incredibly hard water.  I wind up with water spots on just about everything.  For a while, I thought I had it under control, but apparently they changed the ingredients of most dishwasher detergents to remove the phosphates, and my clean dishes started to get an unappetizing gray splotchiness to them.  That's when someone recommended Lemi Shine.  I wasn't convinced it would work, but I was desperate enough to try anything.  To my pleasant surprise, it worked wonders, and I've been using it ever since.

What Is It?

Lemi Shine is a dishwasher detergent additive.  Made with "real fruit acids and natural citrus oils," it's designed to fight hard water and leave your dishes sparkling clean.  (And those are the only ingredients listed on the bottle I just bought.)  They tout themselves as the hard water experts.  Based on what I've seen, they're right.

It comes in a plastic bottle that is 12 oz. in size and usually cost between $3 and $5 depending on where you buy it.  They claim that gives you up to 18 uses.  I've never counted, but I bet I get more than that out of it.

I'm a Guy, I Don't Need Instructions.  (Or, How You Should Use It and What I Do Instead)

The official instructions on the bottle recommend before you start using this with dishes that you run an empty dishwasher with just Lemi Shine in it to clean the dishwasher itself of the hard water stains.  I didn't do that.

They also recommend that, if you have two cups for detergent, you use your regular detergent (powder recommended) for the first cup and Lemi Shine in the second cup.  As an alternative, you can use half and half if you just have one detergent cup.

The thing is this is a detergent additive, not an actual detergent.  If it were a detergent, I would gladly follow their instructions, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.  Instead, I fill both of my dishwasher's cups with a third to half Lemi Shine and the rest my regular detergent.  (Usually, that's Cascade powder).  I know ultimately it's the same mix as they recommend, but this way I feel like I'm getting the cleaning benefits of both wash cycles while still getting the spot fighting power of this product.

The Results Speak for Themselves

As I said, I was a little skeptical of their claims at first, and I didn't run an empty dishwasher before trying my first load of dishes.

The result was obvious right away.  My dishes actually came out of the dishwasher looking clean.  A few of the worst water spots were still there, but they were noticeably less.  And my glasses were clear instead of cloudy.  So I kept using this product with every load I did, and the results continued.  The remaining water spots went away, and the now dishes still look clean.

That was a year and a half ago, and I'm still happy with the product.  It actually works as advertised.  And my clean dishes look clean instead of looking like they got put away dirty.

So I'm happy I gave Lemi Shine a try.  This product belongs in the house of everyone who has hard water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.