Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Music Review: Be Still My Soul by Selah

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great arrangements make these classic hymns seem fresh
Cons: A couple take a few listens to get used to
The Bottom Line
Classic hymns made new
So you focus on lyrics
That speak to your heart




Selah Debuts with New Versions of Classic Hymns

Since I actually started giving Selah a chance a couple months back, I’ve been asking myself why I never bothered before.  The answer lies in their debut CD, Be Still My Soul.  And it also proves just how blinded by prejudice I was.

Of the 11 tracks on this disc, all but one are made up of hymns.  (Well, one is an old spiritual, but I’m including it for simplicity.)  Now, don’t get me wrong, these are all great hymns.  I love them, and the truths expressed in them are timeless.  But I don’t tend to listen to hymns that often, so why would I give a disc of hymns much thought?

How stupid could I be?

Selah at this time was made up of siblings Todd and Nicol Smith and their friend Allan Hall.  Todd and Nicol sing and Allan takes the lead in the instruments with wonderful piano playing.  Yes, we get other instruments like strings or guitar sometimes, but quite often it is just the three of them making music together.  And it sounds wonderful.  The harmonies are great to listen to and the piano compliments them so well.  It’s simple, but it’s effective.

And I think it’s that simplicity that makes it work so well.  The trio has some fun with their arrangements that make the songs seem fresh.  And because they seem fresh, you really listen to the songs again, and the truths of them come alive in a brand new way.

Todd and Nicol are missionary kids from Zaire,Africa, and they start the disc with “Bika Mono Ve,” or “Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior” in Kituba.  That leads into “It is Well with My Soul.”  Right away, you are struck by Nicol’s low voice.  It sounds wonderful and allows the siblings to really blend together.  Together, these songs form an opening of triumph.

“Be Still My Soul/What a Friend We Have in Jesus” is a great blend where Nicol goes solo.  Allan’s piano is joined by strings, which are just beautiful.  But they have some fun with the next track, “Precious Lord Take My Hand” starts out a little slower but with a Gospel edge.  As the song transitions to “Just a Closer Walk with Thee,” a personal favorite, the tempo really picks up for a full on Gospel track.  It’s a lot of fun.

While these first three tracks are medleys, the rest of the tracks only feature one song.  Todd takes on “Great is Thy Faithful” with a slightly slower tempo than normal, and it becomes such a prayer of faith.  I’ve never been a big fan of “His Eye is on the Sparrow,” and their slow rendition here does little to change my opinion, even with the strings.

They tackle more modern hymns with “Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation” and “The Blood Will Never Loose Its Power.”  For “Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation,” they sing with just drums behind them, which almost gives it a tribal take.  This one takes a few listens to fully appreciate, but I do like it.

As I mentioned, they also include the spiritual “Wayfaring Stranger.”  They’ve really slowed it down from the other versions I’ve heard, which makes it very dramatic and gives Allan a chance to show off just how talented he is on piano.

The one song on here I’ve never heard before is “One Thing I Know.”  It’s a song that reminds us that “If there’s one thing I know, you are never left alone/’Cause you can always call on Jesus’ name.”  It’s a soaring ballad where Todd’s voice, Allan’s piano, and the strings combine for a song that will inspire.

The final track is the simple chorus “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus,” which is a cappella.  It’s a chance to enjoy more great harmonies, and I’m a bit disappointed they only sing it twice.  At just under a minute and a half, it’s almost two short.  Of course, there isn’t much to the chorus, so maybe it’s for the best.

Maybe Be Still My Soul will go the way of my other hymns discs and I won’t listen to it that much in the future, but I don’t think so.  The arrangements breathe new life into these classics, and I am really enjoying it.

CD Length: 44:33
Tracks:
1. Bika Mono Ve/It is Well with My Soul
2. Be Still My Soul/What a Friend We Have in Jesus
3. Precious Lord Take My Hand/Just a Closer Walk with Thee
4. Great is Thy Faithfulness
5. His Eye is on the Sparrow
6. Sweet, Sweet Song of Salvation
7. When I Survey the Wonderous Cross
8. The Blood Will Never Loose Its Power
9. One Thing I Know
10. Wayfaring Stranger
11. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.