Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ornament Review: Toymaker Santa #11 - Musical Instruments - 2010 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Several instruments will appeal to music lovers
Cons: Not an immediate draw for the rest of us
The Bottom Line
That's quite a ruckus
As Santa plays instruments
Before your kid does




Bang Drums, Ring Bells, Blow Horns for the 11th Toymaker Santa Ornament

Why is it always the case that the toys that kids love the most are the ones their parents hate?  Maybe it's because the loud noise is always the issue.  And yet toys that make noise, especially musical instruments are a staples of toys and the subject of the 11th in Hallmark's Toymaker Santa series, which was originally released in 2010.

Actually, in this ornament, Santa has enough instruments to form a one man band.  That may be a slight exaggeration, but it's not too far off the mark.  His left hand is holding a trumpet up to his mouth to blow.  His right hand has a bell in it.  And he's got a drum hanging around his neck with the drum sticks attached to his work apron.  He's really getting into the music he's playing because he's leaning way forward from the waist.

I wasn't immediately drawn to this ornament like I was some of the others in the series.  The ones that grab me right away are the ones that excite my inner child.  I don't quite associate instruments with toys, so it wasn't an immediate sell.

But as I've looked at it more, I have grown to like it better.  One thing that sells me on it is the variety of instruments.  That really adds to the fun.  And the little touch of Santa wearing a conductor hat makes me smile.

Between the strange angle of Santa's feet and the way he's leaning over, there's no way to get this ornament to stand.  The hook for hanging the ornament is actually on the back of his hair.  You might think that would leave him hanging odd, but it actually does work.  The feet look a little awkward still, but that's just an issue with the sculpt over all.  If you look at the rest of the ornament, he looks great.

Yes, Hallmark has their little series symbol hidden on the ornament.  No, it's not in the first place you look.  It's very faint, so I almost missed it, but when I got it in the right light, I could see it just fine.

For someone who has always loved music, this entry in the Toymaker Santa series will be an immediate hit.  For the rest of us, it will still bring a smile when it is closely examined.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Toymaker Santa series.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.