Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ornament Review: Toymaker Santa #12 - Tricycle - 2011 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Fun nostalgia since a classic childhood toy
Cons: Very similar to earlier entry in the series
The Bottom Line
A good ornament
Ruined by recycled looks
Good if you missed first




While Technically New, the Twelfth Toymaker Santa Ornament Feels Recycled

I spent the first part of 2011 back collecting Hallmark's Toymaker Santa ornament series.  And when I saw the entry for that year, the twelfth overall, it made me wonder why I had.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good ornament.  But the idea is too familiar.

The ornament features Santa trying out a tricycle.  He's decked out in his usual attire for the series - a tan work apron over green shirt and red pants.  And yes, there's still a hammer hanging out of his apron.  The trike is red and looks like the one I had as a kid.  I do have to wonder about size since it looks like Santa isn't having too much trouble riding it.  Just how big is the kid the trike is for?  There's a horn on the handle bars, and Santa's reaching for it with his left hand.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the ornament.  The toy is universal - just about everyone has a trike at some point, so it will connect with kids of any age.  I know the nostalgia factor I often like with this series is at work here.

So what's my problem with the ornament?  The third entry in the series, released back in 2002, was Santa on a bike with training wheels.  He even had a horn in his hand in that one, although it wasn't attached to the bike.  Yes, I know a bike and a tricycle are two different toys.  Yes, I know that the ornaments are nine years apart.  But it is still too similar for my tastes.  Part of me even wonders if the reason they released this one was because the bike is the rarest ornament in the series and has really risen in value.  Might it have been an attempt to help people like me who are trying to collect the series?  After all, if you have this one, you could be more patient trying to get the other until you find a better deal.

Unlike some ornaments with wheels, the ones on this trike don't turn.  It does sit flat on the wheels, however, so you can display it on a shelf if you want.  When you hang the ornament, he tips slightly forward, although by the time you have Christmas tree branches around him, you won't notice at all.

Since the ornament was released in 2011, you'll find that painted in red on the front of the trike.  You can also find the 12 in a Christmas tree symbol on the bottom of the ornament.

I would like this ornament more if it weren't so similar to the earlier entry in the series.  As it stand, the twelfth entry in the Toymaker Santa series takes a ride down to average.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Toymaker Santa series.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.