Thursday, June 13, 2013

Music Review: A Liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band by Rich Mullins

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great songs that still speak to and challenge the heart
Cons: None
The Bottom Line
Rich sings about the
Sacred and the every day
With timeless lyrics





Rich Mullins' Masterpiece

While all songs involve some poetry, some song writers are more poetic than others  Many people still consider Rich Mullins the most poetic Christian musician of all time.  And based on A Liturgy, a Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band it's hard to dispute that.

This disc, released in 1993, is a concept project.  The songs absolutely work on their own, and some of his best radio singles came from here.  But when you look at what he did thematically, it's even more impressive.  There's a reason this is still usually near the top of lists of best Christian CD's.

The first track sets the tone in many ways.  "Here in America" always makes me think of a road trip.  You'll best understand why by talking a look at some of the lyrics:

And if you listen to my songs I hope you hear the water falling
I hope you feel the oceans crashing on the coast of north New England
...
And once I went to Appalachia for my father he was born there
And I saw the mountains waking with the innocence of Children

There are a few other lines, too, that just always give me the feel of driving down the road when I hear it.  The music adds to that feeling.  The melody is very catchy, and it's got an easy rolling tempo that makes me picture grass or fields of grain passing the car window.

The notes in the CD best explain exactly what Rich was striving for with this disc.  The rest of the songs are divided into two parts.  The liturgy part is five songs that follow a traditional liturgy through proclamation, praise, confession, affirmation, and celebration of grace.  Legacy, the second half of the disc, focuses on living out our faith in the day to day work of America.  And the song I've already talked about?  While Rich doesn't say anywhere, I see it as setting the place since these songs are aimed at Christians in modern (or 1993) America.

So let's get to the rest of the disc, shall we?

The Liturgy

Both parts start out with instrumental heavy songs, although this half does have some words.  "52:10" is our proclamation, and the lyrics are taken from Isaiah 52:10.  Honestly, I forget there are words to this song until I am listening to it.  The music is so dramatic and includes a full orchestra.  It's very beautiful.  At 3:45, this isn't some short song, either.

Next on our list is praise.  And what better way to praise then to focus on "The Color Green."  Okay, as much as I love green, if it truly focused on just the color green, I probably wouldn't like the song that much.  However, it is really praising God for His creation.  And the lyrics are outstanding:

And the moon is a sliver of silver
Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a Carpenter's shop
...
And the streams are all swollen with winter
Winter unfrozen and free to run away now
And I'm amazed, and I remember
Who it was that built this house
And with the rocks I cry out

For the verses, Rich plays piano, but when we get to the chorus, it's got a Celtic feel with the Irish tin whistle playing very strongly.

One of my favorite songs of all times is next.  "Hold Me Jesus" is the song of confession.  It's just over three minutes long and a rather quiet piano driven number.  The lyrics of surrender and dependence on God are absolutely amazing.

So hold me Jesus 'cause I'm shaking like a leaf
You have been my King of glory
Won't you be my Prince of peace

But what I love most about this song is the bridge:

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want
Then to take what You give that I need.

The first time I really stopped and listened to those lyrics, I just had to shake my head in amazement that Rich captured me so perfectly.

"Creed" covers the affirmation of faith part of our liturgy.  Rich loved to play the hammer dulcimer, a string instrument that you actually hit with small mallets.  It forms the backbone of the music while the majority of the lyrics come from the Apostles' Creed.  While this doesn't have some of the lyrical brilliance that the other songs do as a result, the upbeat rhythms still make it fun.

Rounding out this part is "Peace (A Communion Blessing from St. Joseph's Square)."  This is a beautiful piano ballad that celebrates the fellowship all Christians have because of the blood of Christ.

The Legacy

At this point, we turn the corner to looking at life in America with some bits of Christian perspective to them.  Not all these songs are as heavily Christian as the first half, but Christianity is always underpinning the songs.

This half kicks off with a completely instrumental track.  I have no idea where the title came from, but "78 Eatonwood Green" is 2 minutes and 22 seconds of more hammer dulcimer and more well known string instruments.  It's got a haunting melody and if very beautiful.

The next track is "Hard."  It's a fun pop number with a strong guitar underpinning.  The lyrics are very convicting, however, as Rich sings about how easy it is to forget our calling when we compare ourselves to others:

Well I am a good Midwestern boy
I give an honest day's work when I can get it...
I've got values that would make the white house jealous

Well I do get a little much over impressed
'Til I think of Peter and Paul and the apostles
I don't stack up to well against them I guess
But by the standards 'round here I ain't doin' that awful.

From there, Rich moves the focus to living with the legacy of those who came before us while trying to build an even better life for us.  For such a serious subject matter, "I'll Carry On" is surprisingly light and upbeat with the standard band instruments in the background.

Sadly, Rich never recorded a full length Christmas disc.  In fact, as far as I know, the only Christmas themed song of any kind he recorded shows up here.  And it's great.  "You Gotta Get Up (Christmas Song)" captures so perfectly the impatience and possibilities that Christmas morning meant as a kid.  Every time I hear it, I am transported back to my childhood (although as many people would point out, that's a very short trip).  The song opens with some bells before switching to piano, where it stays for the entire song.  Interestingly enough, this is the only song without a scripture reference before it in the linear notes.  But you've got to check out some of these lyrics:

I thought Christmas day would never come
But it's here at last so Mom and Dad the waiting's finally done
And you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up
It's Christmas morning

Last night I heard reindeers on my roof
Well you may think I'm exaggerating but I swear I'm telling you the truth
And you gotta get up....

"How to Grow Up Big and Strong" is a very big distinction from the rest of the disc.  This is a rock song; there's no way around it.  Between the prominent percussion and heavy electric guitar, you can't miss it.  Oh, I'd still call it soft rock, but it's rock.  While the first two verses talk about people struggling to live in the world, doing what ever it takes, the final verse looks at Jesus.  And I get a kick out of the "caveman" type grammar used here, too.

Strong man melt the plowshare
He forges sword
He take the flower and He curse the thorn
He crush the serpent
He bite the fruit
He hand is absolute

Finally, we come to "Land of My Sojourn."  We're back to adult contemporary pop with strong piano.  This song more than any other I've ever heard captures the struggle between living in a land that I love and long for my true home of Heaven.

Nobody tells you when you get born here
How much you'll come to love it
And how you'll never belong here
So I call you my country, but I'm lonely for my home
And I wish that I could take you there with me.

And the Ragamuffin Band?

This project introduced us to the band that Rich would tour and record with for the rest of his career.  Most of The Ragamuffins had previous careers of their own, but here they sound like they've always played together.  The name of the group came from a book by Brennan Manning that I really should read one day.  This band would record his next studio album with him and would be responsible for much of the tribute part of the post humus release The Jesus Record.

Final Thoughts

Almost 20 years later, A Liturgy, a Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band remains a high point of Christian music.  The parts themselves are great, but when you combine it together, you get a whole that is greater than those parts individually.  If you are looking for a great place to jump into Christian music, this would be it.

CD Length: 49:34
Tracks:
1. Here in America
2. 52:10
3. The Color Green
4. Hold Me Jesus
5. Creed
6. Peace (A Communion Blessing from St. Joseph's Square)
7. 78 Eatonwood Green
8. Hard
9. I'll Carry On
10. You Gotta Get Up (Christmas Song)
11. How to Grow Up Big and Strong
12. Land of My Sojourn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.