Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Music Review: Live the Life by Michael W. Smith

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great lyrics couple with truly fun music
Cons: Michael W. Smith hasn't come close to matching this release since
The Bottom Line
Fun rocking pop sound
And great lyrics.  Why can't he
Reach this bar again?




Michael W. Smith's Last Great Pop Release

For the last 10 years or so, Michael W. Smith's releases have been hit or miss.  His worship projects have been great, but his pop releases have been disappointing.  In fact, the last time I truly loved one of his projects was 1998, Live the Life.  It's still a great disc.

Michael starts out rocking right out of the gate.  In fact, I would venture to say that "Missing Person" is one of the rockiest songs we've ever gotten from him, and that includes some of his 80's stuff.  It's also one of my top Michael W. Smith songs of all time.  We get lots of electric guitar and drums and Michael sings about his lost fire for God.  "There was a boy who had the faith to move a mountain/And like a child he would believe without a reason/Without a trace, he disappeared into the void and/I've been searchin' for that missing person."  This is one of those songs I can have on repeat in my car for a week and still want to hear more.

He keeps the rock going with "Love Me Good," a song that has all kinds of funky things going on with the percussion.  In the notes on this song, Michael admits that this is probably the craziest song he's ever written.  That pretty much sums it up.  It's about the wild ride called life, but manages to mention merry-go-rounds, circuses, Mongolian barbecue, and The Brady Bunch.  Yeah, it's that crazy.

Things get slower and more serious for the title track.  "Live the Life" is a call for Christians to actually act like Christians, living out what we say we believe with love for all men and faith in God.  I wouldn't exactly call it a ballad, but it's getting close.  It's anchored by piano and keyboard, and they even work in some strings.

The keyboards are back to give "Never Been Unloved" a light, airy sound.  The lyrics to this one are outstanding.  The verses talk about what he has been, unfaithful, unworthy, unbroken, unfair, and unqualified.  However, as the chorus states, "But because of You/And all that You went through/I know that I have never been unloved."

There are a couple of songs that offer encouragement from one friend to another.  "Don't Give Up" is written to someone named Andrea.  I have no clue who she might be or the story behind it, but it encourages her to keep on the path she knows she should be taking.  Honestly?  For years, I though the line was "Don't give up/you're too young."  Instead, it's "Don't give up/Andrea."  Anyway, it's another fun rock song filled with guitar and drums.

"Let Me Show You the Way" is a song of encouragement from one friend to another who is going through a hard time.  Midtempo, it still got a fun beat and a catchy melody.

I quite often love songs written from God's point of view, and "I Know Your Name" is another winner.  Even slower, this one starts out talking about the hurts and insecurities of life.  But the chorus is amazing.  "Yes, I know your name/Every prayer you pray/I'm the one who brought you to this place/The voice who sings to you/The hand that clings to you/Oh my child, I've always known your name."

The last few songs get even more serious.  Michael was asked to write a song for the movie Titanic.  The result was "In My Arms Again."  While the song didn't make it into the movie, it certain fits since it is a piano ballad about two lovers parted forever.  The strings really add to the haunting melody.

And speaking of haunting, there "Song for Rich."  Michael has said on multiple occasions that he feels most comfortable writing and playing instrumental pieces.  This two minute instrumental piece was written after the loss of his friend, fellow Christian singer Rich Mullins.  It's got something that sounds like a toned down bagpipe.  Since there is no bagpipe in question, my guess is it is the woodwind instruments.  The melody is beautiful.  It stands out from everything else on the disc, but it still feels part of things.

Finally, the disc closes with "Hello, Good-Bye," a song written for some friends who lost their baby after just two and a half days.  While the lyrics do offer the hope of meeting again in Heaven, it also showcases the pain involved.  Even all these years later, it can move me to tears, especially with the other songs around it.

I still pull this disc out and listen to it quite regularly.  The lyrics are great and the music is fun.  And this is why I keep buying Michael W. Smith's newer releases.  Hopefully, one day he'll recapture the magic of Live the Life.

CD Length: 56:48
Tracks:
1. Missing Person
2. Love Me Good
3. Live the Life
4. Never Been Unloved
5. I Believe in You Now
6. Don't Give Up
7. Let Me Show You the Way
8. I Know Your Name
9. Matter of Time
10. In My Arms Again
11. Song for Rich
12. Hello Good-Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.