Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ornament Review: Green Eggs and Ham - 2010 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun take on a classic Seuss book
Cons: Some balance issues
The Bottom Line:
Classic book captured
Do you like Green Eggs and Ham?
Ornament is great




I Like This Ornament, Sam-I-Am

Along with their many official series, Hallmark produces ornaments in some unofficial series.  One of those involves Dr. Seuss books, and the book they chose for 2010 is the classic Green Eggs And Ham.

The base of the ornament is a book.  If you turn it around and look at the cover, you'll see the front of the book is identical to the front of the classic picture book.  But when you turn the ornament around, you'll see what you are really supposed to enjoy.  The book is open half way.  On the left hand page are the classic words "I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.  I do not like green eggs and ham."  The right hand side of the page is a picture of the unnamed character who speaks to words repeated over the course of the book.

And in the middle?  That's where we get Sam-I-Am coming out of the book.  Actually, he's completely out of the book with one leg tucked under the front cover.  In his right hand he is holding a platter with green eggs and ham on it.

The sculpting on this ornament is perfect.  The illustration in the book looks like it really came from the book, and the figure of Sam-I-Am could easily have come straight to life from the book as well.  Since I love Dr. Seuss books, that detail is what sold me on the ornament.

Even with Sam's leg under the cover of the book, you can get the ornament is stand up, although it is tipping a bit to one side.  It's obvious that the ornament is designed to be hung from your tree, however.  The brass hook for an ornament hanger is located at the top of the spine of the book.  The ornament tips a little forward, which isn't surprising given the fact that Sam is sticking forward, but if you put the ornament midway up the tree or higher, you won't really notice.

I can see this ornament and others like it being very popular with pre-school kids who love Dr. Seuss' books.  And, of course, those like me who never completely outgrew our love of Dr. Seuss.

Green Eggs And Ham represents the diversity that Hallmark always manages to find.  There's truly something for everyone.  And if you know someone who likes Dr. Seuss, track down this ornament for them.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.