Monday, June 24, 2013

Ornament Review: Pongo Saves the Day - 2011 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: A good commemoration for the 50th anniversary of a classic film.
Cons: A bit on the plain side
The Bottom Line:
Pongo and two pups
Enjoying time together
On your Christmas tree




Celebrating 50 Years of 101 Dalmatians with an Ornament

2011 marks the 50th anniversary for the Disney animated version of 101 Dalmatians.  Personally, I've always loved the film, so when I found out that Hallmark was going to offer an ornament based on the film this year, I knew I had to get Pongo Saves the Day.

Don't worry, they didn't try to fit all 101 Dalmatians on the ornament.  Instead, it just features 3.  One of them is Pongo, the adult male who leads the rescue expedition when his puppies are stolen.  The other two are two of his puppies.  My guess is I'd know which ones if I'd watched the movie recently.  (Please don't take away any Disnerd points for not knowing off the top if my head.)  One of the puppies is sitting on Pongo's head, and the other is nestled up between his two front paws.

Pongo himself is stretched out on an oval "rug" that forms the base of the ornament.  The rug has an orange circle with a light blue circle in it.  Pongo's front paws are just at the front of the rug, and his tale is sticking just a little off the back.

Based on all this, I would guess this is the scene early in the movie where all the dogs are watching a program on TV.  It's a funny scene, and just thinking of it makes me smile.  Of course, for the ornament, I would have loved to see more to it, like the TV itself.  But that would probably be too big to be an ornament.  Still, it does feel a bit simple and plain since it is mostly the dogs in black and white.  The colors on the rug are interesting and not necessarily the most attractive, too.  I like the ornament, but it feels like it could be better.

The rug does allow the ornament to sit flat.  Pongo has the hook for hanging the ornament in the middle of his back.  It tips slightly forward, but it's basically evenly balanced.

Any Disney fan will be happy to get Pongo Saves the Day.  It might not appeal to the average buyer however since it overall looks fairly plain.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.