Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Travel Review: Los Angeles Internation Airport (LAX)

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Cheaper and more direct flights; Flyaway service
Cons: Too small; crowds; landlocked
The Bottom Line
A crowded airport
But cheaper and easier
Than smaller airports

For a Big Airport, I Expect More

For those who live in the greater Los Angeles area, there are multiple airports to choose from.  While many of my friends swear by the smaller airports, I find that flying out of them is usually more expensive and requires a layover for the added cost.  (My friends claim to find better deals with the smaller airports, but I can't seem to find them.)  That's why I continue to fly out of LAX even though it is the worst airport I have ever flown out of.

LAX, or more formally known as the Los Angeles International Airport, is located near the ocean off the 405.  Strike one against it is that you have to travel through city streets to get to it.  There's no fast way there, so if you hit traffic on the streets, you might be delayed.  And you absolutely must allow time to hit traffic on the 405 because there is bad traffic on that stretch of the freeway between 6AM and midnight.

That's why I usually take the Flyaway.  This is a service offered by LAX that buses you in from three points, Van Nuys to the north, Union Station in down town LA, and Westwood, near UCLA.  For $4 one way, you don't have to worry about traffic (and can read the entire way down or back).  They even offer parking at the bus terminals.  I find that this option is cheaper than the alternative of parking in the long term parking lots.  The buses run on the half hour both directions.  Getting to the airport is always easy, although sometimes it seems to take a lot longer than it should to catch the bus back.

The biggest problem with the airport is that it is surrounded by urban sprawl.  Before I started using the Flyaway, I would park in the long term parking.  Believe it or not, these lots are several blocks from the entrance to the airport and located in neighborhoods.  The shuttles that run between these parking lots and the terminals run frequently in both directions.

Likewise, the car rental companies are located a ways away from the airport.  I've never tried to rent a car here since I live in the area, but I've seen signs for rental car return.  I don't know where they are located or how easy they are to find.  I do know that I see the shuttles these companies run passing by every few minutes.

The airport itself is dual layered, with departures on the top level and arrivals on the bottom level.  The terminals are laid out in a giant horseshoe.  There are 7 terminals for domestic flights and one for international flights.  The roads by the terminals always seem jammed with cars, and I hate driving there.  There is a parking garage for short term parking only located in the middle of the horse shoe.  Trust me, it's well worth parking instead of circling if you are waiting for someone.

Like many airports, there is nothing outside of security for those waiting for a traveler.  All you'll find are baggage carousels and check in lines.

Airlines are assigned to one terminal, maybe two if they are big or fly both domestically and internationally.  I haven't flown internationally out of this airport, so I can't comment on that terminal.   The domestic terminals are all straight with gates on the left and right until you get to the end and find about half the gates at the end.  There are probably about 15 gates per terminal.  Along the way you'll find the usual assortment of shops and various types of restaurants.

There is no way to change terminals without going through security.  As a result, if you have a connecting flight on a different carrier, allow time to go through security again.  There are shuttles that do nothing but drive around the horseshoe taking people from one terminal to another which is good because it can be quite a walk from one to another.

The big downside is that you can't really explore the airport while you wait for your flight.  When I have time to kill in an airport, I love to wander and see how much ground I can cover.  Additionally, it helps me get some blood pumping before I sit for multiple hours.  Here, you are limited to your little section.  Don't like the food choices?  Tough, those are your only options.  Looking for some variety in the stores?  Again, you have no options.  And it gets boring walking the same corridor over and over again.

Additionally, this airport is too small for the number of travelers that pass through it.  There can be long lines to check in or pass through security any time.  Other times, lines are short.  You just never know.  Because of all the people, you have to be constantly paying attention so you know where you need to go.  Otherwise, it is easy to get lost or wind up in the wrong long line.

Things aren't much better once through security.  It's very hard to find a quiet, non-busy corner.  And the corridor is always filled with people.

Obviously, the airport needs a complete expansion, but I'm not sure where they would find the space to do that because they are landlocked.

The airport is also shabby, probably because it is so old.  It doesn't feel like they keep things up as well as they might, although I do think they keep it relatively clean and free from garbage.  At least I've never seen anything too dirty on my trips through.

Getting my luggage after a flight has gotten much better.  When I first started flying, it often seemed to take me 30 minutes or now.  Now bags from my flight are starting to show up between 10 and 15 minutes most of the time.

Yes, this has been mostly one long complaint.  This really isn't that nice of an airport.  And yet I'm willing to fly out of it on every trip I take.  Why?  Because of the cost savings when I buy my tickets and fewer (if any) layovers.  Additionally, since discovering the Flyaway, I find that getting to and from the airport is a breeze.  For that, I can put up with a few lines and crowds.  Just allow plenty of extra time for it.

So I do recommend LAX for those looking to save some time and money in their travels.  It's not the best airport, but it does serve its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.