Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Movie Review: Men in Black II

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good story and acting
Cons: Uneven special effects and humor
The Bottom Line
Difference balance
Between comedy, story
But still worth watching




"That's Canine Profiling and I Resent It."

After seeing and enjoying the first film, I decided I wanted to see Men in Black II.  I heard from multiple sources that it wasn't nearly as good as the original, which is why it took me a year and a half to see it.  And maybe it was going into the film expecting a bad one that colored my perception, but I actually enjoyed it.

As the film opens, Agent J (Will Smith) is still trying to find a new partner.  His latest, Agent T (Patrick Warburton) turns out to be another wash out.

But then the Men in Black get a line on a new alien in the area.  Serleena (Lara Flynn Boyle) is back and looking for the Light of Zartha.  The last time that MIB had to deal with her was back in the 70's, and Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) was in charge of the case.  Just one problem.  Since retiring, Agent K had his memory erased and is now working at the Post Office.  Can Agent J convince him to come back?  Will Agent K get his memory back in time to save the day?

The first film is a fun mix of comedy and science fiction action.  This one focused a bit more on the science fiction action and less on the comedy.  That's not to say that there isn't some comedy.  Patrick Warburton was a riot, although sadly he wasn't around for long.  Likewise, Frank the Pug (voiced by Tim Blaney) was pretty funny.  It's not a laugh riot, but the laughs and grins are there.

I found the story better defined here and actually more exciting.  And maybe that's why I found the movie more focused on the story rather than the jokes.  It's developed well with a couple twists along the way.  At least I was surprised a time or two by where the plot took us.  I would never call it that suspenseful, but it is entertaining.

The special effects are a mixed bag.  Some of them are believable and others are laughable - sometimes in the same scene.  Yes, the movie is now 10 years old, and that may explain it.

In some ways this movie mirrors the first since this time it is Agent K who needs an introduction into the super secret work of the Men in Black, not Agent J.  But I felt the movie was trying to tell a new story instead of just rehash the original like so many sequels do.  It's not completely original, but it's better than some.

The actors all do a great job of bring their characters to life.  Will Smith is the real star here, and he's great.  Once Tommy Lee Jones shows up, he's entertaining as well.  The rest are fine.  And watch for a bittersweet cameo.

Many people seem to find this movie derivative and predictable.  I enjoyed it for what it was, a mindless summer sequel.  And maybe that mindset is the secret to enjoying Men in Black II.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.