Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Killer Mousse by Melinda Wells (Della Cooks Mysteries #1)


Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Characters; for the most part the plot
Cons: Romantic sub-plot
The Bottom Line:
Romantic sub-plot
Turned me off to what could grow
Into fun series




Murder on Live TV

Even with the plethora of hobby themed cozies on the market today, the culinary cozy doesn't seem to be going anywhere. As proof I submit Killer Mousse, the first in a new series by Melinda Wells featuring the host of a cable cooking show.

Della Carmichael is starting a new job as the host of "In the Kitchen with Della" on the Better Living Network. In this one hour live show, she will be demonstrating simple but delicious recipes. In addition to the live television audience, she will also have a studio audience.

At the end of her first show, she asks for a volunteer to taste that night's recipes. Mimi Bond, the woman who was just fired from Della's job, is quick to volunteer. Della just tries to grin and bear it, until Mimi falls on the floor dead after tasting some of Della's signature Killer Mousse.

Even though Della had just met Mimi that night, the police detective assigned to the case immediately seems to zero in on her as the suspect. But having met Mimi, Della is convinced that there were lots of motives from people who actually knew her. Can Della sift through all the suspects and come up with the killer?

Every so often, I come across a book I want to like but just can't completely. This is just such a book. The main mystery is mostly good. There are some nice clues and suspects. I did guess the killer early, but wasn't 100% certain until the end. The climax was certainly suspenseful although a little weaker then I normally like.

The series characters are charming, and I liked them immediately. Della is a fun series lead with spunk and good humor. Her roommate and friends are great people I'd love to get to know as well. It's hard to tell just how much the studio people will play in future books. I say that because they are suspects here, but since the hook for the series is Della's cooking show, they could be supporting characters as well. Either way, I liked them here, especially Car Guy (who has legally changed his name to that).

And there were minor things, too. I always enjoy reading a book set in Los Angeles since I live there, so that was a plus for this book. And there are 10 delicious looking recipes in the back of the book, including the title recipe (murder weapon left out, of course).

So, with all this praise, the negative must be pretty negative, right? In my mind, it is.

The romantic sub-plot is absolutely horrid. In the first half, we get a complication the book didn't need. In fact, it would have been refreshing with out it. Della's reaction to that is completely unrealistic and out of character for her. And that's followed by the "kiss and tell" chapter which didn't advance anything and only served to make me very uncomfortable.

And I have a small complaint as well. There are several scenes in the book that do nothing to advance the story and really don't develop the characters. They could have easily been left out or shortened without ruining the book at all.

If Killer Mousse were stronger, I would probably overlook the romantic sub-plot and see what Della cooks up next. As it stands, I will probably pass on further adventures in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.