Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chip Review: Lay's Limon Flavored Potato Chips

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Lime flavor makes these stand out from ordinary chips
Cons: Not healthy, not everyone likes
The Bottom Line
Potato and lime
Different flavor combo
But it really works




Delicious Flavor of Lime Makes the Best Potato Chips

I love lime in things, so when I spotted Lay's Limon flavor of their popular potato chips, I had to give them a try.  They were an instant hit with me, and I buy them more often then I should.

While the Limon name makes me think Lemon, the picture on the front of the package shows a lime, and lime is what you taste.  These are smooth potato chips made with plenty of oil.  But in addition to the oil, there is a definite lime flavor to the chips.  It's strong but not so over powering that you don't taste the traditional potato and oil of the chips.

That first night, I was going to hang out with a couple of friends, and I took them along.  One friend and I loved them, but the other didn't care for them.  I've later bought some for others to try.  They seem to be hit or miss.  If you don't like lime, you definitely won't like these.  Even if you like lime, these are a different flavor of potato chip, so it might take you a few handfuls to decide for sure.  I will admit I didn't love them right off, but now these are the only potato chip I will buy.

The front of the package also proudly proclaims that these are made with all natural ingredients.  They have no MSG, preservatives, or artificial flavors.  That may be the case, but don't be fooled.  These still aren't good for you.  15 chips, about a 10th of the bag, contain 150 calories, 90 of them from fat.  They do have 10% of the daily recommendation for Vitamin C, but not much else in the way of nutrients.  Really, these are empty calories, just like most other traditional potato chips.  If you are trying to watch what you eat, avoid these.

And the ingredients back that up.  Potatoes are listed first, but right behind it is vegetable oil.  The only other ingredient listed is limon seasoning with includes such things as salt, sugar, and natural seasons.  Again, nothing really good for you.  No wonder I love these.

If I'm good, I only eat a quarter of a bag at a time.  These chips are highly addictive, so if you like the flavor of lime, you'll be buying nothing but bags of Limon potato chips after you give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.