Monday, June 17, 2013

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Pretty much perfect way to tie up the saga
Cons: One aspect of climax could have been stronger, but it's minor
The Bottom Line
Pretty much perfect
As Harry's saga concludes
This fan's satisfied




"I've Always Wanted to Use That Spell."

When they decided to break Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows into two movies, I was a sure it was a ploy to make more money from the films before the end.  And I would say that part 1 proved me right since, like the first part of the book, it was a little slow and meandering.  I just got back from seeing Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Part 2, however, and I am now convinced it was the smart thing to do.  Only three words accurately describe this film.  A.  Maze.  Ing.

I have not read the book since it came out and have not rewatched the last movie, so I was a little concerned that I would forget where we were in the story.  And while a "Previously in Harry Potter" would have been nice, I didn't feel I needed it.

The opening shots of this film are the closing shots of the last - Lord Voldemort (Ralph Viennes) retrieving the Elder Wand.  But we quickly flash back to Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint), and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) as they continue their crest to find the remaining Horcruxes so that Voldemort can be defeated once and for all.  But there are still some surprises along the way.  Will they succeed?  Who will survive the coming battle?

For those of you who, like me, missed the Hogwarts gang since they didn't little more than cameo in the first part, you'll be thrilled to know they play a much greater role here.  In fact, once again much of the movie takes place there.  But it's not the old familiar place.  This is the climax of an epic battle between good and evil, so the school becomes a battle field.  It is epic and expansive.  I felt like many battle scenes from the book were cut, but the outcomes were the same.

Really, not having read the book recently, I can't comment on just how true things were to the book although I've heard that once again there were changes.  I will say that the big events I remembered happened here.  And yes, the epilogue was the same as well.  I liked it, so I was okay with that.

There's been some back and forth over the years about the acting or over acting of the cast.  Personally, I have always thought they were fine, and this movie did nothing to change my mind.

Likewise, the special effects were wonderful.  I've always bought all the magic we've seen on screen, and that was the case here again.

It's rare that I am pulled into a movie for over two hours without thinking about anything else.  That was the case here.  I didn't want it to end.  I laughed, I tears up, and I cheered, sometimes all in the same scene.

My only real complaint is the very climax.  As my friend who hasn't read the book said, it felt anti-climatic in many ways.  Still, it was a fleeting thought that crossed my mind; ultimately, I was satisfied.

Harry Potter & Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the epic climax to the epic saga.  I can't imagine a better film version, and I'm ready to sit down and watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.