Sunday, June 9, 2013

Movie Review: Megamind

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Very funny film that lots of fun
Cons: None
The Bottom Line
With guaranteed laughs
This superhero film is
Great for all ages




Funnier Than a Speeding Bullet

I don't seem to be making it to the theaters as often as I once did.  So that's why I missed Megamind in theaters.  But I caught it on DVD this last weekend, and I absolutely loved it.

Our story starts on a distant planet that is about to be destroyed.  Two parents quickly send their infant son into space, hoping he will survive.  But he isn't alone.  Another baby from a nearby planet is also on his way to a new home.  The two land on Earth, where Metro Man (voiced by Brad Pitt) lands in the home of a rich couple while Megamind (Will Ferrell) lands in a prison.

The two grow up and grow into arch nemeses, which Metro Man always winning their battles and reporter Roxanne Ritchie (Tina Fey) getting caught in the middle.

Stop me if you've heard this one before.

While the previews had looked promising, I figured it was a spoof on Superman.  There was certainly that element to the story early on, but things took an unexpected turn about a third of the way into the story.  To be honest, I really had no idea where they were going with things for a while, although I did guess the final parts early.  So, while I will say that there are predictable elements, I actually thought parts of this movie were pretty original.

Of course, even if it were predictable, I would have enjoyed the movie because it was so funny.  They manage to mock super heroes and villains pretty well in this film.  I watched it with a friend, and we were both dying at some of the jokes.  Even his wife, who isn't into super heroes as much, thought it was very funny.  Both Metro Man and Megamind are over the top as characters, which only adds to the humor of the piece.

Normally, I avoid Will Ferrell films because I just don't find him that funny.  This movie proves that, given the right material, he can be great.  I got over the fact that he was the main character in just a couple of minutes and sat back and enjoyed the film.  It helped that all the actors did a great job of creating new characters with their voices.  I usually find it very distracting when I recognize a voice in an animated film unless their character is very strong.  Here, not only were the characters strong, but the actors made their voices different enough that I never would have recognized them.

The animation is good, but it's nothing spectacular.  While Pixar always has a shot or two that catches my breath, this one didn't have any.  In fact, things were stylized.  Again, it wasn't distracting at all, but if you want something mega realistic or beautiful, you won't find it here.

What you will find is a funny movie that will make you laugh from start to finish.  If you've missed Megamind, correct that oversight today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.