Thursday, June 6, 2013

Movie Review: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun, escapist film
Cons: Predictable; almost kisses
The Bottom Line: Persia's orphan prince
Saves the day in a popcorn
Film you will enjoy





Sword Wielding Fantasy Equals Fun Flick

Somewhere on my computer, I still have the original Prince of Persia game.  While I haven't gotten into the many other games in the franchise, I did get a kick out of it.  So naturally, I paid attention when they announced Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.  I never did make it to see this one in theaters, but I recently rented and enjoyed it.

Dastan (Jake Gyllenhaal) was a poor orphan in ancient Persia until he was adopted by King Sharaman (Ronald Pickup).  Raised with the other princes, he comes to love his new family dearly.

When the holy city of Alamut begins selling weapons to the enemy, Dastan and his brothers feel they have no choice but to invade the city.  Even after taking Princess Tamina (Gemma Arterton) hostage, they can find no evidence of those weapons.

Tamina is obsessed with a dagger that Dastan has taken as a spoil of war.  When Dastan is suddenly accused of murder, the two must flee for their lives.  What secret does that dagger hold?  Will Dastan clear his name?

Make no mistake about it, this movie has summer block buster written all over it.  There are big action scenes and plenty of special effects.  At times those did overshadow things, especially in the beginning when I found myself a couple of steps behind the characters.  By the end, I was following everything just fine.

Unfortunately, the story is predictable.  A few things kept me in suspense throughout the movie, but I predicted most of the twists before they happened.  But this isn't a movie that's trying to break new ground.  It just wants to have fun, and in that it succeeds in spades.

I thought the special effects were quite good.  I believed everything I saw, and they never pulled me out of the film.  Likewise, the acting was great.  The actors played it mostly straight, which made me really care for the main characters.  And the sword battles were lots of fun.

Even the first incarnation of the game involved jumping on pegs and ledges over the ground.  I had to smile at how they worked this into the movie.  Fans of the games won't be disappointed.

My biggest irritant was the poorly timed kiss.  What do I mean?  As the movie progresses, Dastan and Tamina start to fall for each other (no surprise there).  But they chose the worst possible times to start to move in for a kiss, leading to further plot complications.  Not only was I yelling at the screen, but I was also rolling my eyes that they would really risk everything they were working toward to kiss right then.

Complaint aside, I still enjoyed Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.  This isn't great cinema, but it is perfect for a couple of mindless hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.