Thursday, June 6, 2013

Movie Review: Room Service



NOTE: While the link above will take you to a double feature DVD, I have only seen Room Service, so that is what this review will focus on.  And it appears that the only way to buy the movie on DVD is in a set of some kind.

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Funny with a strong plot
Cons: Plot seems to take over at times.
The Bottom Line
Laugh with Marx Brothers
Probably not their best film
But still entertains

"Do You Like It?  It's a Scene from Our Second Act."

When TCM was having a Marx Brothers marathon a few months back, I recorded a couple of their films at random.  Room Service was one of them, and only later did I learn that it wasn't considered one of their best films.  I watched it and, while I can understand the complaints, don't see it as being as big a problem.

Gordon Miller (Groucho Marx) is directing a new play called "Hail and Farewell."  He and the entire cast are staying at a hotel his brother-in-law manages while they rehearse and wait for a backer.  Unfortunately, the owner finds out so Gordon and his business associates Harry (Chico Marx) and Faker (Harpo Marx) start planning to clear out.

However, that's when Leo Davis (Frank Albertson), the author of the play, shows up.  With Leo there and rumors of a backer coming in, the gang tries to find a way to stay at the hotel while waiting for the money to pay the bill comes in.  Will their comic hijinks help them or will the play close before it opens?

I had originally decided to watch this one because Lucille Ball was one of their co-stars.  I figured she'd add lots of comedy to the film.  Instead, I was surprised to find her in mainly a straight man role here.  She'd show up to advance the plot, but the comedy was left to the Marx Brothers.

I can certainly understand why people don't view this as one of the Marx Brothers' better films.  It was based on a play and not written specifically for them.  As a result, the comic hijinks and one liners aren't as prevalent.

But I've got to admit, I did laugh at the film.  Even if this movie is grounded with a stronger plot than you might expect, it manages to provide some good laughs with such staples as mistaken identity and impeccable timing.  There are a few moments where I dare you to not laugh.

The story is pretty entertaining, too.  Okay, so I'm not going to pretend that it breaks much new ground.  I knew how things would turn out by the end.  I just had no idea how it would get there.  There were some good twists along the way.  Between those and the humor, I was entertained.

The acting was good as well.  No, nothing here would be award worthy.  But it all fit the high energy, wacky feel they were going for with the film.  It's not going to push you out of the story.

I can understand why Marx Brothers fans aren't big on this film.  It's probably not their best work.  But it is entertaining.  I'd start with some of their better know films before watching Room Service.  And when you do sit down to watch it, expect something different from them, and you'll wind up enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.