Sunday, June 9, 2013

Ornament Review: Slave Leia - Star Wars #9 - 2005 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 2 out of 5
Pros: Looks just like she does in the movie
Cons: Even for a pop culture guy, it doesn't feel like a Christmas ornament
The Bottom Line
Great moment in film
Does not quite work that well as
Christmas ornament




Iconic Moment?  Yes.  But as a Christmas Ornament?  Um...

There are many iconic moments and images from the original Star Wars trilogy that have seeped into pop culture.  One of those is from the final film, Return of the Jedi.  As the attempts to free Han begin to go out of control, Princess Leia is taken hostage by Jabba the Hut and forced to but on a leather bikini.  Someone somewhere thought that would be a great moment to immortalize as an ornament for the official Star Wars series from Hallmark, so they released one based on it in 2005.  It just doesn't work for me.

Actually, the moment they chose is from near the end of that part of the movie.  Leia has just been freed from her chains and has grabbed an ax to defend herself from Jabba's army.  So we've got Leia wearing very, very little with bent knees and a weapon out in front of her.  The look on her face definitely says, "Don't mess with me," and believe me, you wouldn't want to.  She still has some chain dangling from the collar around her neck.  The biggest bit of clothing she has on are half skirts trailing down from her waist.

Now, I have to admit that the ornament does a great job of capturing that outfit and moment from the film.  There would be little doubt in any one's minds what it is trying to represent.  And the sculpt really does look like Carrie Fisher, the actress who brought the part to life.

However, I'm really not sure I'd put this one prominently on my tree.  Yes, I know, I put all kinds of pop culture ornaments on my tree without thinking twice about it.  But this one just doesn't seem appropriate to me.  Yeah, I'll watch the scene in the movie no problem, and I don't have any issue with it in that context.  But on a Christmas tree?  Just doesn't seem right.

Because of the way Leia is balanced, she really doesn't stand on her two feet.  Oh, you can get her on them, but the slightest bump will knock her over again.  The hook to hang the ornament from is located in the back of her head on top of her knot of hair.  She balances absolutely perfectly.

The copyright information and the marking to denote that it is the ninth ornament in the series are actually located on the back cloth coming behind her.  They're just raised into it, so you only notice it if you are looking for it.

A word about her weapon.  Despite its fearsome look, it's really just made out of plastic.  It would be very hard to actually hurt someone with it, especially since it feels like it will break if you apply too much pressure to it.

With my ornament collection, I don't have to put out all my ornaments every year.  As a result, this one will probably stay hidden in its box most of the time.  I just had to get it to complete the series.  If I do decide to display the Princess Leia from 2005, I will probably hide her back in the tree so she isn't quite easy to spot.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Star Wars ornament series

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.