Tuesday, June 11, 2013

VeggieTales Review: Larry-Boy and the Rumor Weed

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun lesson in the dangers of robots, I mean rumors
Cons: A tad preachy when it didn't need to be
The Bottom Line
You heard the rumor?
Larry-Boy to the rescue
In fun video




"Your Secret Stays Right Here."  I Wouldn't Believe that if I Were You.

Having introduced the world to a new superhero in 1998, the gang at Big Ideas produced a sequel the next year.  Having a hard time remembering a new superhero from that time?  Why it was Larry-Boy of course, the biggest superhero to hit the computer animated series VeggieTales in, well, forever.  And the sequel, Larry-Boy and the Rumor Weed is good.  Or so I've heard.

In a funny nod to the original, we start with some kids leaving a movie theater.  As they are walking down the street, they are almost robbed of their lunch money, but Larry-Boy saves the day.  Unfortunately, he's about to have a much bigger problem.  You see, when he accidentally knocks a plant off a roof, it hits the phone lines and morphs into a Rumor Weed.

The next day finds a confused Junior Asparagus and Laura Carrot walking home from school.  You see, Larry-Boy's butler Alfred had been to their class that day sharing some stories.  As he was leaving, he said, "I need to go home and recharge my batteries."  Could that mean he's a robot?  While they are speculating, the Rumor Weed shows up and gets the scoop from them.  Soon it's all over town that Alfred is an evil robot with laser eyes who is planning to take over the world.  Is there anything that Larry-Boy can do to stop the story and save his friend's reputation?

This was actually the first Larry-Boy episode I saw, so I didn't get some of the jokes from the first one.  This may be only the second time I've seen it, and I did enjoy it more this time around.  There's even more of a Batman feel to this one, especially when we see Larry leave the Larry-Boy cave.  Definitely nods to the 1960's TV show.

The first Larry-Boy villain was creepy enough that I could see him scaring young kids.  I think the Rumor Weed is tamer, so only the most easily frightened will have a problem with it.

Obviously, the moral of the story is the danger of gossip.  Unfortunately, they get a little preachy to get their point across.  The only song in the video (Sorry, no "Silly Songs with Larry"), is pretty heavy handed when it talks about how a rumor gets started and spreads.  And Dad Asparagus gives a very brief lecture on the danger of rumors at the end.  Frankly, I think the video did a good enough job of showing both parts without the added scenes.

There is no counter wrap around on this one, but we do still get a Bible verse in the wrap up.  We just get it from the computer in the Larry-Cave instead of from Qwerty.

Larry-Boy and the Rumor Weed may lecture a bit more than it needs to, but it's still a fun video with an important message.  I hear that your kids will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.