Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cookie Review: Chewy Chips Ahoy

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Lots of chocolate in a delicious chewy cookie
Cons: None
The Bottom Line
Lots of chocolate
In a delicious cookie
With a soft texture




The Best Packaged Chocolate Chip Cookies Available

I love dessert.  Therefore, it stands to reason, I love cookies, and chocolate chip cookies are my favorites.  When Nabisco first released Chips Ahoy!, I got them and enjoyed them.  But then they released Chewy Chips Ahoy!, and I never looked back.

With the Chips Ahoy! brand, Nabisco was trying to create a chocolate chip cookie that had lots and lots of chocolate chips in them.  And they've succeeded.  Each cookie is filled with chocolate chips, making it easy to taste the chocolate in every bite.  The cookies are almost bite size, although if you don't want to see like a glutton, you should probably take two bites per cookie.  They aren't big, but they are oh so good.

While I will eat any kind of cookie, I much prefer cookies that aren't hard or crisp.  That's why I love the chewy variety.  They cookies are so soft that your teeth just slide right through them.  But they still have the taste of the flour, sugar, and butter of a classic chocolate chip cookie.  Oh, who am I kidding, with all the chocolate you can taste, you'll hardly notice how good the rest of the cookie is.

Not that these cookies are good for you.  2 cookies (the suggested serving size) are 120 calories, 50 from fat.  There's no cholesterol, but also nothing remotely nutritious about them.  Surprise, surprise.  They're cookies.  We eat them because they are good, not because they are good for you.  The main ingredients are basically, flour, sugar, chocolate, and oil.

Normally, I wouldn't comment on the packaging, but in this case I think it's ingenious enough to mention.  To open the package, you open the top by pulling a tab.  The top then recloses and reseals itself, meaning you don't need to use anything else to keep the air out of these cookies.  I managed to keep a package around for a week once, and the cookies were just as good then as when I opened it.

There are 28 cookies in a package.  Each package divides the cookies up into four groups of seven to keep damage during shipping to a minimum.  Generally, I'll eat one section at a time, but when I've opened these for a group of friends, they all disappear that night.

While homemade cookies are always the best, if you need to buy a package of cookies for something, you'll find no better chocolate chip cookie than Chewy Chips Ahoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.