Monday, June 3, 2013

Music Review: Face the Nation by 4 Him

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Some really great songs
Cons: Some songs with cliched lyrics; dated sound
The Bottom Line
Yes, there's dated sound
And some lyrics are cliches
But the songs still speak




4 Him is Ready to Face the Nation on Their Sophomore Release

During the 90's 4 Him was one of the groups at the top of Christian music charts.  This quartet of guys produced great adult pop that got them lots of air play.  Face The Nation was their second release.  It wasn't as popular as their next few releases, but it has some great songs on it.

There are three I absolutely love on this disc.  All three of them are their more mid-tempo releases on this project, too.  "He Never Changes" starts things off with a reminder that God doesn't change no matter what is happening in our lives.  It's very heavy on the keyboard with a touch of drum machine.

Anyone who knows me knows I gravitate to songs about trusting God, so it's no surprise that I love "Why?"  This song looks at the struggles in life and asks why.  It doesn't actually provide any answers, but it does remind us to trust God.  There's definitely some guitar mixed in with the keyboard this time around, and it even sounds like there's a horn at one point.

Rounding out my trio of favorites is "Man You Would Write About."  This song uses piano as its base as the guy sings of their desire to live lives modeled after the heroes of the faith in the Bible.

There are several other songs I like on the disc, although I must admit they have issues.  Specifically, the lyrics are cliched.  I got this disc in high school, and even then I knew they weren't that original.  That "Chisel Meets the Stone" for example.  The chorus goes
Let my eyes be fixed on the hope that cannot fail
May my life be set where the hammer meets the nail
Place my feet where the rubber meets the road
Shape my heart to please Your eyes alone
That I may live my life where the chisel meets the stone
Yeah, not all that original.  But somehow, that collection of lyrics really works for me.

Just as bad is "Over the Horizon."  The song is talking about the hope of Heaven, but it's not an especially original look at our future home.  However, at least in this case I have the excuse that the music is fun.  It's upbeat, almost jazzy, with a very catchy melody.  This song is the one I am most likely to be humming the day after I've listened to the disc.

And some of the songs are only okay.  "Puzzles" talks about our need to have God's wisdom.  It's the most risky production wise since it is very heavy on the bass.  "When the Walls Comes Down" is a fun light rock number, but it suffers from the curse of a chorus that is one line repeated over and over again.  "Face the Nation" uses the keyboard well to create some interesting sounds.  It's a fun upbeat track, but the lyrics get a bit repetitive again.

On a more serious note, there's "When I Get Home."  This song is inspired by one member who has lost some dear childhood friends already.  It's a testimony to the faith of reuniting in Heaven.  The end the disc with a full orchestra instrumental version of the song that is quite beautiful.

While the group is a quartet, don't come here looking for tight barbershop style harmonies.  They guys do blend well together, but it's not at that level.

This disc was originally released in 1991, and it still has that late 80's production to it.  All the songs are keyboard heavy with what sound more like drum machines than the real drums they have in the credits.  You've got to be in the mood for that kind of music to really enjoy this disc.

Drawbacks aside, I've like this disc for almost 20 years now, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  No, it's not perfect, but the songs on Face The Nation still mean something to me.

CD Length: 52:01
Tracks:
1. He Never Changes
2. Puzzles
3. Why?
4. When the Walls Come Down
5. Chisel Meets the Stone
6. Face the Nation
7. Over the Horizon
8. A Man You Would Write About
9. When I Get Home
10. Every Reason to Believe
11. Take Me to the Place
12. When I Get Home (Reprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.