Saturday, June 15, 2013

Music Review: Spirit Wings by Joni Eareckson Tada

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Timeless, encouraging songs
Cons: Sound can be dated at times
The Bottom Line
Lyrics will uplift
And focus your eyes on God
Still a great release




Soar on Spirit Wings with Joni Eareckson Tada

After the success of her first record in the early 80’s, Joni Eareckson Tada released a follow up in 1982. Spirit Wings is my favorite of the two because the songs are more relatable than in her first release.

Joni is best known, at least in Christian circles, for her personal story. As a young adult, a diving accident left her paralyzed from the neck down. By the time these two releases had come out, she’d written an autobiography, starred in a Billy Graham film about her life, and founded Joni and Friends, a ministry that reaches out to the disabled. She was a big name, and that helped sell her music.

And while her name might have been the reason she got that recording contract, the songs still speak for themselves almost 30 years later. Backed by a full orchestra, Joni sings with passion about the joys of hope of living the Christian life. You can hear it in her voice, she truly believes what she is saying. And that adds a beauty to the already rich, deep (for a woman) vocals.

The disc actually starts out with the biggest flaw. As on the record, there is a 50 second or so introduction that is Joni talking to a piano background. It is part of the first track. How I wish it were separate like it was on the record. I don’t mind it at all when listening to the entire CD, but I wish I didn’t have to listen to it when listening to that first track shuffle through on my computer or iPod. Still, it’s a minor issue I can live with.

The first song is the title track. “Spirit Wings” reminds us that God’s perspective on our life will let us rise about our circumstances. I realize it would be a cliché to say that this song soars, but it really does. The strings are wonderful and add to the uplifting feeling of the song.

The song turns to pure praise for “Hosanna!” It’s also the shortest track here. It’s simple, but it’s fun.

Heaven shows up a couple of times on this disc. “The Only Thing I Want” is the first of them. But the title might not apply to what you think it will. While the verses talk about the joys of Heaven, but the chorus reminds us of the ultimate joy of being there – getting to finally see Jesus face to face. Seeing the object of our faith personally will be a huge reward.

Later in the disc, there’s “Heaven.” This song features some horns, and it is very melodic. This is the song you might be expecting when talking about the subject because it does focus on the joys of eternity in Heaven compared to the short nature of life here on Earth. This is also the only song that really references Joni’s life in a wheelchair as she sings about standing and walking in Heaven.

The second half actually starts with a couple of my favorites from the disc. Neither is especially original in their metaphors, but I still like them. Maybe it’s because I was so young when I first heard them that they seemed fresh to me at the time. “Run that Race” builds on Paul’s analogy of the Christian life as a race as it encourages us to live for Jesus. Joni tries her hand at song writing with “When Pretty Things Get Broken,” a song about the promises of Jesus to get us through the times when our life seems to be falling apart. These are also some of the more upbeat songs on the disc, which may be one reason they caught my ear originally. Either way, I still like them all these years later.

There are arrangements of two hymns on here as well. I’m not that familiar with “My Jesus as Thou Wilt” outside of this recording, but I definitely know “Take My Life.” Both are slower arrangements and are very beautiful, moving, and convicting. It’s hard to listen to songs of surrender without thinking about how much or how little I surrender in my life.

Finally, the disc closes with “He Careth for You,” a chorus written by Kurt Kaiser based on I Peter 5:7. In fact, Joni recites it before the song is over. Unlike some of his other chorus, this one doesn’t seem to have caught on, at least I don’t remember singing it in church. It’s a shame because it’s very pretty.

I mentioned earlier one reason I like this release better than her first one is that the songs here are more relatable. Her first disc had a few songs that deal specifically with her handicap. While I like them, I don't connect to them quite as easily. Here, the songs are general enough that anyone can take something from them. Even so, it is obvious that they come from her heart and lessons she has learned.

After being out of print for many years, Joni and Friends has released this disc on CD. I was thrilled to get it and find that the songs were as good as I remembered them being from my childhood. The booklet contains all the lyrics as well as the original notes she had included for each song.

I mentioned the orchestra the backs Joni up. That helps cut down on any dated feel, although some of the production definitely does make it feel like the late 70’s early 80’s release that it is. This is especially true on the rare songs with backup singers. Most of the time, its’ just Joni singing by herself.

Even though it might be dated in sound in some ways, the lyrics of Spirit Wings are truly timeless. This release still speaks to my heart all these years later, and I’m sure it will encourage you as well.

CD Length: 30:56
Tracks:
1. Spirit Wings
2. Hosanna
3. The Only Thing I Want
4. Portrait of Jesus
5. My Jesus as Thou Wilt
6. Run That Race
7. When Pretty Things Get Broken
8. Take My Life
9. Heaven
10. He Careth for You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.