Friday, June 14, 2013

Music Review: Stars and Stripes Forever Vol. 2 by Various Artists

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great collection of classic American patriotic songs
Cons: Wide selection of styles might turn off some
The Bottom Line:
Stars and stripes and more
Featured in Patriotic
Collection for all




It Will be Hard to Top This CD for a Patriotic Music Collection 

While researching collections of patriotic music, I ran across Stars And Stripes Forever Vol. 2.  (And no, the first volume has never come across my radar.  Honestly, with my guess at the title, it's just too hard to find.)  I made a note of it but kept buying other collections instead.  I'm not quite sure why because this is a great collection.

I was interested in this collection for one reason.  I am a huge Sandi Patty fan, and the final track is Sandi singing our national anthem.  I knew it would be amazing, and I am right.  From the stirring opening orchestra to the extravagant and dramatic, almost operatic choral finish, this is "The Star Spangled Banner" like you've never heard it before.  It is wonderful.  What is interesting is that instead of doing any of the other verses that Frances Scott Key wrote, they follow up the well-known first verse with a new verse I've never heard before.  I really like this new verse, so I'm not complaining in the slightest, and it does feel like it fits with the more traditional verses.

Somehow I had missed that this collection also includes Lee Greenwood singing his classic "God Bless the USA."  I actually don't have his version of this classic yet, so I was very glad to get it.

That leaves us 10 tracks by various artists, most of which I haven't heard of.  And for the most part they are very good.

The Killer Cadet Band does two tracks, both of which are instrumental.  They open things up with "Stars & Stripes Forever."  I'm not usually a fan of instrumental music, but I love this song, and the version here is outstanding.  The full orchestra is wonderful.  Their other track is another John Philip Sousa march, "semper Fidelis," the official march of the Marines.

Another great instrumental track is "You're a Grand Old Flag."  This one is done by (The Classic).  It actually made me realize I don't have any versions of this song with the lyrics in my collection.  I'll have to fix that.  But in the meantime, I'll certainly enjoy this orchestra, which does a great job with it.

There are several choral with orchestra tracks here, including "America the Beautiful" and "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."  Just like with instrumental tracks, choirs aren't normally my favorite, but for patriotic tracks, it really works for me, and both of these are great.

Folk group "The Limeliters" tackle a medley of "America the Beautiful" and "This Land is Your Land."  The emphasis here is on voices and harmonies, at least until the second song takes over.  It's a different feel considering some of its neighbors, but all the songs on this disc really do hold together.

There is a live version of Kate Smith singing "God Bless America" on here.  Actually, I had never heard of her before, but it looks like this is her signature song.  I will say that the recording is obviously from the 40's because of the style of the singing and the band, but it's certainly good.

And for the big band fans out there, Glenn Miller has the jazzy track "American Patrol" on here.  I didn't recognize it like I did many of the others right off, but it's a fun, toe tapping number.

Honestly, I don't know why I let the mostly unknown to me contributers scare me away from getting this great disc.  I have a feeling that Stars And Stripes Forever Vol. 2 has earned a permanent place in my patriotic music rotation.

Disc Length: 40:03
Tracks:
1. Stars & Stripes Forever - The Killer Cadet Band
2. God Bless America - Kate Smith
3. You're a Grand Old Flag - (The Classic)
4. America the Beautiful - The American Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus
5. American Patrol - Glenn Miller
6. America the Beautiful/This Land is Your Land - The Limeliters
7. God Bless the USA - Lee Goldwood
8. An American Trilogy - Mickey Newbury
9. The Battle Hymn of the Republic - The National Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus
10. Semper Fidelis - The Killer Cadet Band
11. America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee) - The Spirit of Freedom Singers with Roland Shaw and His Orchestra
12. The Star Spangled Banner - Sandi Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.