Friday, June 7, 2013

Ornament Review: Han Solo - Star Wars #3 - 1999 Hallmark Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Nice detail, great balance
Cons: A few nitpicks, but nothing major
The Bottom Line
Han's ready to shoot
In this Christmas ornament
Pretty much perfect




Han Shoots...Third is His First Appearance as a Hallmark Ornament

While I wasn't collecting Hallmark ornaments back in the 90's when they started the Star Wars series, I could have easily predicted the third ornament in the series.  Having started with Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, it's not surprise at all that the 1999 entry was Han Solo.  And it's the best at this point in the series.

Here, Han is shown wearing his costume from the original movie.  That means he's wearing a white, long sleeve shirt with a black vest over it.  He's got black pants and black boots as well.  His belt includes a little flashlight, although if I didn't know better, I'd say it could be a lightsaber.  He's even got a holster for the gun that he's holding in his hand.  Both of his hands are out in front of him supporting his gun.  He looks like he is ready to shoot his way out of danger.  If you look at his vest, you can see several pockets, especially in the back.

What excites me most about this ornament is his face.  For the first time in the series, the face actually looks like the actor who played the character.  I'm sure nitpickers can find stuff to complain about, but my first thought when I looked at it was how much it looked like Harrison Ford.  Couple that with the details of his outfit, and you've got a solid winner.

Han is standing with his legs slightly apart like his is bracing to fire.  I thought that might mess up his ability to stand.  While he's not super stable, he does stand on his own fairly well.

The brass hook you can use to hang him on your tree is located on Han's back where his shoulders meet his neck.  Again, I expected this to mean he's really lean forward.  And he does lean forward ever so slightly.  Trust me, you'll never notice he isn't hanging straight.

Since this is a series ornament, there's a 3 in a Christmas tree on his left boot's sole.  The other shoe has other copyright information.

The Star Wars ornament series from Hallmark is still going on, so obviously it's been popular with fans.  After two ornaments that could have been better, I'm glad to see that Han Solo is one that fans will absolutely love.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Star Wars ornament series

Original Price: $13.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.