Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ornament Review: Jar Jar Binks - 2001 Hallmark Star Wars Ornament

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Looks like the character; perfect balance
Cons: Really stands out on most Christmas trees
The Bottom Line
Looks just like Jar Jar
But Jar Jar and Christmas trees
Are not a good match




Dis Ornament of Missa is Just Okeeday

Ah, Jar Jar Binks.  If there is a more controversial character in the Star Wars universe, I don't know who it might be.  Completely computer generated, die hard fans hate him for his obnoxious way of speaking.  While I don't especially love him, I don't think he's as annoying as some would make him out to be.  And that's why I went ahead and picked up this ornament that Hallmark released back in 2001.

Jar Jar is an alien creature from the planet Naboo.  His eyes stand up from his face, his ears hang down his back, and he's got red scaly skin.  All of that is here.  In fact, his skin is slightly rough to the touch to represent the scales.  He's got big, three toed feet as well.  He's wearing brown and tan clothes and waving with his left hand like he's thrilled to see you.

If you are looking for a representation of Jar Jar, you won't find anything better.  He looks like the character does in the movies.  But I've come to realize that's not a good thing.  He really tends to stand out from my tree and look odd.  Considering the eclectic collection of ornaments I have, that's really saying something, too.

Because of his small feet, Jar Jar doesn't really stand on his own.  You can get him to balance, but he'll tip over at a slight breeze.  The ring for hanging him (on your tree) is located at the base of his neck.  Because of how his ears hang, you have to really work to get the hook through the ring.  However, he does hang straight.

Since Jar Jar isn't a popular character, I was surprised to learn that this ornament has actually increased slightly in value in the secondary market.  I really expected him to be much less because I thought that no one would want him.

I bought Jar Jar Binks in a geeky moment while rewatching the Star Wars movies.  The more I've looked at the ornament, however, I've regretted it.  Even for a pop culture junkie, this one seems too strange to hang on a tree.  He looks great and is a great ornament, but unless you are a die hard Star Wars fan, you can pass right on by.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.