Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ornament Review: Queen Amidala - 1999 Hallmark Star Wars Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Captures the look from the movie perfectly
Cons: Based on a character from the first Star Wars prequel.
The Bottom Line
Queen Amidala
Makes a stunning ornament
Looks great on your tree




Add a Regal Touch of Sci-Fi to Your Christmas Tree

While I love the original Star Wars trilogy, I'm not that crazy about the prequels.  They okay but pointless as far as I am concerned, not really adding anything to the story.  That's why I don't have too many ornaments based on the prequels.  Still, I couldn't resist getting Queen Amidala.

This ornament was released in 1999, the year that the first prequel movie came out.  So it's not that surprising that this ornament is based on her iconic costume from her first appearance in the movie.  She's wearing a red, flowing robe.  It's got a design on the front in gold.  Around the base of this robe are red, yellow, and black stones, and they go all the way around the ornament.

Then there's her hair.  I don't know why the women in this series always have such strange hair, but that's reflected here as well.  Queen Amidala is wearing a headdress held on partially by her hair.  And she's got more hair going down her back.  Even with as small as her face is, she's still got perfect make up.  She's got two red dots on her cheeks and a red area painted on her lip.

It's one of the most famous looks from the first movie, and it makes for a stunning ornament.  Since it's mostly red, it really stands out on your Christmas tree.  The multi-colored stones are a fun touch and stand out from the red dress.

Because the robe flairs out at the bottom, the ornament has a huge base, meaning it would sit just fine on any flat surface.  The brass hook for hanging the ornament on your tree is hidden just behind the top middle of the headdress, so you wouldn't see it if you are looking at it head on.  She tips ever so slightly forward, but it's not enough that you would notice.

As much as the prequel trilogy disappoints me, I love this ornament.  Queen Amidala looks so good here, I just couldn't pass up adding her to my collection.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.