Thursday, June 6, 2013

Candy Review: Hershey's Mint Truffle Kisses

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Perfect mix of dark chocolate and mint flavor
Cons: Only sold one month a year
The Bottom Line
Mint and chocolate
Have never been mixed better
Give them to me now!




Get Your Hands Off My Mint Truffle Hershey's Kisses and No One Gets Hurt

So a month or so ago, I learned that Hershey's makes special editions of their popular Kisses line of chocolate candies around Christmas.  I had to try a couple of them, including the Mint Truffle variety.  I am already mourning the fact that these aren't made year round.

The candies come in the traditional small teardrop shaped candy we always associate with Hershey's Kisses.  The inside is a green colored mint layer.  Surrounding it is an outer dark chocolate layer.

Wait a minute, dark chocolate?  That was my reaction when I realized my new favorite candy was made of dark chocolate.  I'm normally a milk chocolate man because I find dark chocolate to be too bitter.  That's not the case here.  In fact, if I hadn't read it on the bag, I never would have guessed.

The dark chocolate flavor mixes perfectly with the mint insides.  From my very first bite I've been in love.  These have a strong and satisfying mint flavor, yet you can still taste the chocolate in them.  After a couple of them, I realized why they tasted kind of familiar - they remind me very much of Andes Mints.  I've always loved them, but I've never paid close attention before.  Now I'm wondering if those candies have dark chocolate in them as well.

When I go to eat sweets (which I do far more often than I should), I don't like to look at the nutrition facts or ingredients.  I know these aren't good for me; that's why they taste so good.  For example, just nine of these Kisses are 200 calories, 110 of those are from fat.  That's not surprising since the major ingredients are semi-sweet chocolate, sugar, vegetable oil, and milk.  See, I was much happier not knowing.  (Although it does explain why I don't lose weight no matter how much I run.)

Next December, I am going to stock up on these Mint Truffle Kisses so I can enjoy them all year long.  Hershey, any chance I can convince you to make them for more than one month?  Pretty please?  I'll be extra good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.