Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Music Review: Christmas Is by Mark Harris

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun, fresh takes on classics with a couple of new songs thrown in
Cons: A couple of the new songs aren't that good
The Bottom Line
Not like other discs
So it might take a couple
Spins to fully like




Christmas Is Non-Traditional with Mark Harris

I was a long time fan of the Christian music group 4Him, so when the members started releasing solo projects, I bought them as well.  I don't tend to pull them out often, but when I do, I wind up enjoying them.  As a result, I waited until after Christmas last year to get his solo Christmas release Christmas Is.  When I stuck it in out of curiosity this year, I was pleasantly surprised.

The thing with this disc is that few of the arrangements are remotely traditional, yet it still feels familiar.  Take the first track, for example.  "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is a favorite of mine.  But there's none of that slow, almost melancholy sound to it here.  It's mid tempo with upbeat guitars and drums and lots of "Dah dee dums" serving as a chorus of sorts.  It works, although it took me a listen to fully get it.

Similarly upbeat is "Silent Night."  It's still a slow song, but it's definitely faster than normal.  The guitar and piano make a great background to this one, and Mark changes the melody a bit as well.  It's actually a fun version and a refreshing take on this classic.  Meanwhile, he actually tones down "Little Drummer Boy."  It doesn't have quite the percussive punch most versions of the song have, but the drums are still very much there.  I really like it.

Since I have so many Christmas discs already, one key for me is what new songs are offered.  By my count, four of the songs are completely new and one is little recorded.  I'm not that big a fan of the title track.  "Christmas Is" tries to capture the magic of the season, but it leaves me a bit empty, probably because it plays with being a Christian song by mentioning "A sacred birth" in the chorus but just doesn't really deliver.  It's pretty to listen to.  Jim Brickman co-wrote it, so it doesn't surprise me that it features some very pretty piano.  While Mark does sing here, he is mostly singing backup to some unnamed young female.  I'm guessing it's his daughter but don't know for sure.

Also disappointing is "Emmanuel" because it is over repetitive.  The verses are different names for God, but the chorus just repeats "Emmanuel" a few times then concludes with "God is with us."  It's a pure pop song that could have been fun, too.

The other two originals are better.  "All is Well at Christmas" is mid tempo and reminds us of the hope that Jesus coming to save us from our sins gives us.

But my favorite song is "Caroler's Song/Angels We Have Heard on High."  Another piano based song, the verses talk about Jesus' birth or our modern celebration before launching into a chorus that incorporates lines from three familiar carols.  It's lots of fun.  My only question is the title.  No where is "Angels We Have Heard on High" referenced.  Instead, "Hark! The Heard Angels Sing" is referenced in the chorus and again as a bridge after the second chorus.

I'm not surprised to see that Mark closed the disc with "A Strange Way to Save the World."  Originally recorded on 4Him's Christmas CD, this song is a classic.  Written from Joseph's point of view, this ballad explores the mysteries of the Christmas story, like why Jesus was born in a manager to a poor girl.  No, it doesn't offer any answers.  The piano is supplemented by beautiful strings.  Yes, I do miss the harmonies of the original, but this one is still pretty good.

Christmas Is won't be one of the discs I pull out the day after Thanksgiving, but its fun take on traditional Christmas songs and two great new offerings definite merit a place in the rotation of anyone who loves Christmas music.

CD Length: 40:59
Tracks:
1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
2. Christmas Is
3. Caroler's Song/Angels We Have Heard on High
4. All is Well at Christmas
5. Silent Night
6. Emmanuel
7. Little Drummer Boy
8. White Christmas
9. O Holy Night
10. A Strange Way to Save the World

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.