Thursday, June 20, 2013

Music Review: Committed by Committed

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Wonderful harmonies on fun songs
Cons: A few arrangements don't quite work
The Bottom Line
Took a few listens
But most of these tracks work well
Should make fans happy




Sing Off's Season Two Winners Release Their Debut CD

All through season two of NBC's The Sing Off, I was rooting for Committed.  When this six member male a cappella group won the competition, I was thrilled.  I've kept a close out waiting for their debut CD to release, and it finally hit store shelves.  My initial impression of this self-titled debut wasn't positive, but it has quickly grown on me.

My initial impression was influenced by my musical tastes.  Committed has said that this disc includes elements of jazz, gospel, r&b, and blues.  I have a narrow window of the music I like, pop and light rock, and rarely venture outside of that mix.  I knew their release wouldn't be in those genres since their performances on the show had a solid jazz and r&b vibe, but it was still a shock to the system.

A few of the songs take things a little too far, and the group doesn't quite pull it off like they should.  Ironically enough, the worst offender is "Break Free," an original song.  It's way too busy with all kinds of vocal parts and mixing tweaking.  The disc closes with a radio mix of the song which isn't much better.  It's a shame because I want to like the song since the lyrics are heavily influenced by the groups Christian heritage.

The members of Committed are originally from Alabama, so it's not too surprising that they chose to do a cover of "Sweet Home Alabama."  As much as I like the song, all the falsettos they use for it doesn't quite work for me.  Their cover of Stevie Wonder's "As" almost suffers the same fate, but they pull it back enough that it works for me.

The more I've listened to this disc, the more I've grown to like it, however.  Many of the songs are the smooth jazz and r&b combo with tight harmonies that they do so well.  All six members of the group have solos in "Let's Stay Together," a fun love song.  And on the other side of the spectrum, there's "That's When I'll Get Over You."  Their tight harmonies and the mellow tempo adds to the melancholy of the lyrics.  I love some of the lines as they sing, "When spring is time for snow/And summer is ten below/And left is right I know/That's when I'll get over you."

If you are looking for upbeat, you don't need to look past the disc opener.  "Forever" is a busy song, and this is one of those songs I didn't additionally like, but I've started to find the arrangements here plenty of fun.

They do have a couple of songs that tie into their roots as a group that formed singing in various churches.  "Soon Ah Will be Done" has got to be an old Spiritual about going to Heaven, and it's a fun song with a fun arrangement.  "It is Well" is a slower song that plays with the chorus of the old hymn but throws in lost of new material for the verses.

I think any fan of voted for Committed on The Sing Off will be happy with this disc.  It might take them a few listens to fully appreciate it, but if they give it a chance, they'll like it.  I know that's the case with me.

CD Length: 47:09
Tracks:
1. Forever
2. Unstoppable
3. Break Free
4. Nothing Without You
5. Pretty Wings
6. Let's Stay Together
7. Soon Ah Will be Done
8. Do Anything
9. Sweet Home Alabama
10. That's When I'll Get Over You
11. It is Well (featuring Erica Campbell)
12. As
13. Break Free (Radio Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.