Sunday, June 16, 2013

Ornament Review: The Sunday Funnies - 2007 Hallmark Peanuts Ornament

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Captures a nostalgic part of childhood
Cons: Snoopy seems a bit small; it would be fun to read the strips
The Bottom Line
Childhood moments
Captured for your Christmas tree
With some of the stars




Laugh with Sally and Charlie Brown as You Hang the Sunday Funnies on Your Tree

While I've gotten away from it, I used to read the comics every day.  I loved laughing at the antics of my favorite characters.  Of course, I was a huge fan of Peanuts; I identify a bit too much with Charlie Brown.  That's why the Hallmark ornament The Sunday Funnies brings back great memories for me.

The ornament features Charlie Brown and his sister Sally.  They are sitting in a big blue chair, and Charlie Brown is reading the Sunday comics to Sally.  Snoopy is sitting on the floor by their feet.  All this is sitting on a big plastic base that is supposed to represent linoleum I'm sure since it has a square pattern in it.

The figures of Sally and Charlie Brown are very well done.  They look like 3D versions of their comic strip personas, right down to the red shirt and pink dress they are wearing.  My only real problem with Snoopy is his size.  Yes, he's lying down, but he still seems to be much smaller than he should be based on the comics and TV specials.

One touch I love is the chair.  It's actually made from blue felt, so it feels soft and plush when you touch it.

And in another fun feature, the comics that Sally and Charlie Brown are reading are all Peanuts.  Best I can tell, we've got three Sunday strips and two weekday strips.  They're all in color, but they are also too small to read.  I can read about two or three lines out of all the strips, but that's it.  How I wish they were bigger, but the paper is the right size for the ornament, so I can't complain too much.

I already mentioned the flat base of the ornament.  Naturally, it sits perfectly on any level surface.  The hook for hanging this ornament on your tree is actually on an arm that sticks out the back of the chair.  This allows the ornament to hang level as well.

There may not be anything directly related to Christmas in this ornament, but The Sunday Funnies is a nostalgic looks at lazy childhood days long gone.  The fact that it stars some of the characters I used to love to read about only makes it better.

Original Price: $15.00

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.